Dan's Question of the Week: Trespassing

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: Trespassing

Postby Dan Schmidt » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:20 am

Have you ever caught someone trespassing on land you own or lease? What did you do about it? Did you confront them? Please give details on how you handled it .... and if your actions helped rectify the situation (or did it make it worse?).

A story out of central Wisconsin this week shows where a line can be easily crossed -- literally -- that can indicates some people take hunting way too seriously.

According to news reports, a bowhunter had shot a deer and was blood-trailing it with two of his friends. The deer apparently jumped a fence onto land the hunter thought he had permission to be on. He didn't. The land that the deer ran onto was being leased by another hunter. When that hunter saw the men trespassing on the property, he allegedly held them at gunpoint until police arrived. A shot or shots were also allegedly taken, but no one was injured.

Police apprehended all four individuals. The blood trailers are apparently going to be charged with trespassing, while the armed man is apparently going to be charged with reckless endangerment.

Is it just me, or is this just really messed up?

Read the full story from the Wisconsin Rapids Tribune.
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

SCHINK

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Trespassing

Postby SCHINK » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:46 am

YES......SITTING IN ONE OF OUT STANDS......it was a teenage kid.......I must of been in a good mood that day and told him to climb down.....and told him " this is your lucky day"......don't let me catch you again.....and then went to thier camp and had a chat with his father.......they were all polite and said it would never happen again......well 4 days later we caught ANOTHER guy from the SAME CAMP on our land AGAIN......NOW we called sherriff.......and so far it has worked.....as far as we know anyways
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:59 am

ORIGINAL: Dan Schmidt

Have you ever caught someone trespassing on land you own or lease? What did you do about it? Did you confront them? Please give details on how you handled it .... and if your actions helped rectify the situation (or did it make it worse?).

I've had a number of indirect run-ins with trespassers/poachers on my place. Unfortunately I have only discovered the aftermath in most cases. Since I do not live on the property, they are pretty good at avoiding direct contact.

I did have one incident worth mentioning though. I was hunting a stand inside my timber, a few days into the Missouri rifle season. Mid-week is when the road "hunting" really kicks in. Anyway, I heard a close shot and assumed it was a hunter on the next property. Suddenly a doe and fawn came crashing into my timber from a nearby field. I could see the doe was wounded so I shot her, to get her on the ground for the neighboring hunter. Suddenly a SUV came tearing into the field, along the edge of my woods. I could not believe that this was happening, especially since I had just shot! When the vehicle stopped, I saw the doe struggle to rise. I had a safe angle so I took a finishing shot. Boy did that get the poacher's attention! He threw it in reverse and tore out of there like a scalded dog. I tagged the doe and called the conservation agent with a vehicle description (but unfortunately no plate number).   

The guy never got caught but I did find out who it was by way of rumor a few weeks later. By then it was too late to prove anything. The best part was, he was going around telling people that I shot at him when he went to get his deer! That's not at all what happened, but I kind of liked his version.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:40 am

I was bowhunting last Friday, November 5 (MN gun season started the day after).  My stand was 175 yards inside our property line.  The opposite side of our property is public land.

About 30 minutes before shooting time ended, two guys walked in from the public side.  One of them had a tripod ladder stand he was carrying in to use the next morning for gun season.  The other jerk...I mean gentlemen....crossed onto my land and hopped up in another one of my treestands. 

The minute he crossed the fence, I boogied down and walked over there.  Fortunately, he was completely embarrased and not confrontational.  I told him very sternly that "this is private property sir".

My buddy was actually videotapping the hunt and got the whole encounter on film.

I thought my hunt was totally hosed, but ended up shooting a 6pt at last light that evening.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 pm

I was gun hunting in Mich. some time in the "60's". I was by myself on our own property when a pickup with hunters in it drove in on our neighbors side of the fence. They drove down a ways and out of sight. Soon after, I see hunters comming out of the swamp on our propery. When one of them came walking by me, I told him that this is private prop. and he was tresspassing. He actually took the safety off and told me they were going to drive these woods and no one is going to stop them. I was pissed and thought about shooting him first. But thought better of the situation. I probably would have ended up being the bad guy because of no witness on my side. Went to town, notified the sheriff and game warden with discription of vehicle. They said I should have gotten the numbers off of back tag lic.. Never heard anything of it. I say, if you are going to confront someone that is trespassing, you should have someone with you as a wittnes and or backup. A good freind of mine caught a neighbor of his trespassing and turkey hunting. He ran him off. When the man was several yds. away he shot up in the air so as to have the pellets rain down on my friend. Then the neighbor told the game warden that my friend threatened him with his weapon. Anyway, it cost him some money with a lawyer with that mess. His neighbor is still a jerk. Last I heard, the guy tore down some of my friends fences. Now whenever he has to confront this guy he makes sure some one is with him as a wittness. And then look at that mess with those shootings not too long ago in Wisc. Got to be carefull, and prepared. There always seems to be a bad apple out there someware.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

HarleyForester

Postby HarleyForester » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Unfortunatley Pennsylvania has more illegal hunters, particularly for deer hunting, than most likley all the other 49 states combined. It has taken my father 27 years to make our small 100 acre property a good place to hunt. But, what goes with making a place good is "POSTED" signs which to far too many PA hunters simply means "GOOD HUNTING". For the last 10 years or so we have basically been unable to fully enjoy our successfull management as we do more line patrolling and running people off than anything else.

We do have the trespassers/poachers arrested for trespassing and in many cases harrassment as well when it will stick and for breaking as many game laws as we can. Most always they are hunting without the proper orange or with no license to begin with. We will always press as many charges as possible. People who do not, or think that its being taken too serious have obviously never worker hard and spent alot of time and money to make a good place to hunt. Our laws are fines are quite petty so even with the worst charges it doesnt amount to much other than they know we are serious. Most always they answer with "I dont want any trouble". No one has ever been confrontational, only very apologetic and nervous.

Only 3 days ago on Tuesday my father shot at a buck with his bow. He said he only nipped it but we tracked to about 1/4 mile to be sure. We reached the neighbors property line and, unlike the story from Wisconsin, I called the owner who stated "Yes you fellas are good guys feel free to look for your deer, theres no reason to call". I will always call after the Wisconsin story. We went onto her small 2 acre lot to look and we found a ladder stand in the middle with a corn/apple pile 15 yards in front of it. We reported it to the landowner who had no idea it was going on. She is elderly and thought she was being friendly to allow her lawnboy and his 2 teenage boys and friend to hunt on her 2 acres. She immerdiatly kicked them off her property.

People will take advantage of every oppertunity they are given and even the oppertunity they are not given. When we lived in Northern Maine we never had a problem. We had to move to a state where hunting deer is relatively easy for people to be hogs.

Never underestimate the lengths people with go... AND NEVER EVER underestimate the predictability of stupidity!

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:44 pm

When I started hunting our 80 acre piece of property a few years back, we had a number of people who live in the area (I live 2 hours away) who routinely trespassed on our land. They had the mentality that they had hunted it in the past and that gave them the right forever.

The first time I hunted it, I climbed in my stand in the dark, only to realize at first light that there were 5-6 Amish hunters dotted throughout the woods in front of me. I tried waving them to get out, but they wouldn't budge until I finally climbed down and had a stern talk with them.

A few years, a lot of no trespassing signs, and a lot of patrolling later our problem seems to be over, at least when I'm there. This summer i put up my trailcamera, only to find picture of 4 different trespassing fisherman. The last two apparently dunked my camera and ruined it (based on the last pictures it took). I'm sure people sneak in during the week, but not much more I can do. The guy that puts my foodplots in did punch a guy in the face though. Doubt he'll be coming back!

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:59 pm

It's hard when you own property and you don't live there. The locals know when your there, and when you are not. And now with the use of cell phones they can communicate around you.

I heard once where some have put up stands that were barely visable from a road, and put a form of dummy in hunter orange, so that anyone checking the property would think guys are hunting it.

I have friends in central Ill. with a large hunting acreage. They do not live there, and have several trailcams on it. In the spring when there shed hunting, they had many pics of people carrying antlers, and useing dogs. It is all so agravating. Some times you wonder if it's all worth it when one has to watch everything, and patrol it and not to say the possibility of getting shot yourself. 

never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:36 am

Last year I went to take down a few of my stands on the last day of the WI gun season so I could take them to Kansas the following week. In a matter of two hours I had to ask two different people to get out of my stands. One on managed forest land that I am the only one who has permission to put stands on. They also have keep out signs on them. Another one on private land & the guy said when I asked him to please get out of my stand, he said he was wondering who's stand it was. I said if its not yours why are you in it. No answer. I have tried very hard to become a better Christian so I kept my cool throughout the process. I used to use every swear word in the world in these situations & found it only had negative effects. This year the stand users have found a new way to test me. They are going into my stands & taking the safety straps & pull ropes out of the stands, along with my bow hangers. I think I have built some bitter enemies over time by the stupid way I used to handle the tresspassers. If you act as idotic as the tresspassers you will accoplish nothing. Stay calm & let the athorities do the nasty work!
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

Swampbuckdown

Postby Swampbuckdown » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:03 am

Every post made assumes the worst about the "trespassers" involved. Not one story mentions about hunters who are just looking for a deer they shot that traveled onto someone else's land. The reality is, most times they have no way of knowing who owns what parcels. They know its private, but do not know who owns it or who to talk too. Not every person who goes on private land is a poacher or even intentionally trespassing. We have owned the same land for 75 years. We have had our share of problems. The real problem is land owners who are over aggressive and public land hunters who do not care. That is a bad mix. The days of talking with land owners to get access to new land is long gone. Everyone acts as if their land is gold and can't have anyone else on it. Everyone thinks the worst of the other guy. Plus, some states have very bad liability laws, and so land owners are concerned about being sued if someone hunts their land and gets hurt. We have all gone so far, that as you heard about in Wisconsin, people are actually hurt or worse, killed over hunting rights.

This is just more evidence of our own greed and distrust of other people. A lot of the distrust is warranted, due to littering, poaching, drinking, etc. But we need to get a handle on this and stop acting like land Nazi's and start making smart choices as well as opening our land up to good people.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features