Dan's Question of the Week: Trespassing

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
woodsman603

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Trespassing

Postby woodsman603 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:20 pm

I just recently have had the fortune of finding a tree stand on property that I own during a recent scouting trip for a new stand placement, thought I had a great place picked out when I found the other stand. The stand did not have climbing sticks but had trimmed branches on one of my trees to make steps to access the stand, which is illegal without written permission of the land owner in the state I live in. Options obviously are, remove the stand and leave a note, or continue going back to see if the person returns to talk. I am a firm believer in asking permission to be on anyones land, either for hunting or tracking. I know alot of people now adays have gone away from this and believe that they can hunt where they feel like. I have had my property flagged several times in the past few years and the properties surrounding me are posted. My property is also located at the very end of a long cul-de-sac. I left a large pink ribbon on the tree where the stand is located notifying the person who's land they where on and if they wanted the ability to hunt on the property they needed to come ask. Address was left there as well. I will return at teh end of the season and if the stand is still there it will be removed and a note left in place telling the owner to come talk to me to ask. If they hadnt cut branches and a couple trees on the property I wouldnt have minded as much, but I am a firm believer as I stated in asking for permission. That is how I am teaching my sons and hopefully they will pass it on to thier kids.

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:26 pm

SWAMPBUCKDOWN, I assume you either one are rich or 2 don't own land of your own because if you think we land owners should be more caring or what not your nut's, Who pay's the taxe's, Who pay's the mortage payment's and upkeep ? Come on man, I guess we should all let someone live in our home's to or drive our car's and use our backyard for their dog to crap in. Listen dude I just removed 53 old tires from my property that some scum back tresspasser thought was ok to dump. So guess what come on my property and I'll have your ass, I believe in self protection.... [:@]

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Swampbuckdown - I wouldn't mind if I found someone tracking a deer they shot through my land. After all, how would they find me? However, if I find people HUNTING on my land, why should I give them any benefit of the doubt? There is absolutely no way you could get on my land without seeing the POSTED signs (every 50 feet or so).

In Minnesota it is almost impossible to prosecute trespassers, so you pretty much have to scare the *$&% out of trespassers to make sure they don't come back!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:41 pm

We have amish neighbors who think they are allowed to walk through our property to get to another piece of ground to hunt even though we tell them not to.  Another time we had another amish guy standing in our orchard even though he didn't have permission to be there.  I believe they don't know what private land means.  
Scott

Swampbuckdown

Postby Swampbuckdown » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:38 pm

hookset6969, Hunting without permission is unacceptable, as I previously noted in my original post. Dumping garbage, destroying property, stealing stuff from our cabin, cutting our trees down...the list goes on. We have dealt with those problems for the entire time we owned the land. As far as I know, there isn't a single land owner who hasn't experienced one or another of these problems. Even if your packing heat and talk about shooting people, the fact is your not there most of the time. The only one looking out for your land is you and yours, because no one else cares about your problem, and you have no one else doing anything on that land, because you got it locked down so tight. Which means you will have no one helping look out for your land. Obviously you or me are not enough, so by opening the land up to people YOU think can be trusted, you help reduce the ability of others to hunt an area of your land undetected. Without fences and guards and spot lights, its almost impossible to keep out all the losers. The reality is that people are more concerned about the "hunters" that will pay them a couple thousand to hunt their land. Why would they ever allow anyone just to hunt, when there is obviously so much money to be made from leasing. That is what killed good old days when friends had friends hunting each others land and looking out for each others land.

With your attitude, I would want you to stay on your land and off of mine. Don't need that kind of "stereotype" mentality running around with a weapon near me or mine.

Songdog

Postby Songdog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:26 pm

Not to pick on the Amish folk, but in our area they "assume" that it is their God given right to be on any land that they choose!  It is their opinion, at least in our area, that the land is NOT private and that God created this land for them to use as they wish!
They are some of the WORSE offenders when it comes to trespassing!

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:45 pm

Yeah Dan, it is pretty messed up that the "armed" man is being charged with anything.....when we deal with tresspassers and poachers so long, the frustration can really boil over. We hunt the right way, we only go where we have permission to go, but we still deal with the guys who always "thought" they had permission to be there, or they "thought" they were on uncle don`s place.......it`s always a load of bologna, and we all know that.

And sure, we deal with poachers and tresspassers annually, in and out of season.........I`m still trying to figure out what it means to "take hunting too seriously".......
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

RangerJ

Postby RangerJ » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:26 am

Before I retired, I would arrest or detain the trespassers,until the DNR ( Rabbit Sheriff's) could respond and write tickets. I have done this many times in 20 plus years. And some of the same ones couldn't get enough and kept coming back. It seemed like a game for a while.AS happens the property sold and we were all out.It is now a resort for rich floks. S**T happens don't it.

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:56 pm

i used to have access to 85 acres of good land in nj it was an old airport the problem was 4 wheelers riding around creatin all kinds of problems we posted the land and put up gates they either broke the gates or cut new paths around them i was able to call the local police and they came right down they chased the riders across a street onto another property the patrol car with red lights flashing was finally able to get the driver to stop he then brought the driver and vehicle out to the road i signed a complaint and the atv was confiscated it seems the officer had caught this 17 year old previously riding without proper safety equiptment registration insurance when he rode across the street with the officer in pursuit he broke a motor vehicle law he was taken away and released in his parents supervision they stopped him from obtaining his drivers license for 1 year the patrol car recieved some damage chasing the youth as far as trespassing and other riding violations he was not given any punishment whatso ever so i lost a days pay andstill had problems with people riding on the property but the court said that was all he could do he must have had a friend somewhere as a result our club decided not to release the land the owner and his partner who i was friendly with and still am just closed it all down to any kind of access 5 years later they sold the property it did not pay to go to court orhave the police involved because not enough was done hank k

buckhunter85

Postby buckhunter85 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:48 pm

we all have a problem keeping people off are lands i caught a guy shot a deer on my land had apples out in field admitted to it dnr wrote the ticket for hunting without permission . judge gave him a $25 FINE PLUS $75 COURT COST WHAT A DETRENT PLUS THE GUY LET THE MEET GO OT WAST; THIS GUY SHOULDNT BE ALOUD TO HUNT EVER

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features