Group tag

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
daw

Group tag

Postby daw » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:03 am

I thought the discussion about filling another's tag was interesting. I find it ironic the the sportsmen who fish and share a daily possession limit call it unethical to fill another hunters tag.

Dan Salmon

RE: Group tag

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:53 am

In the state of Wisconsin, you can't party fish, and if you draw the eye of a warden, you will be fined for every fish you catch over your personal limit and someone else keeps.  I have a friend with personal experience with this. 

werner.reiche

Postby werner.reiche » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:56 pm

In Ontario, we cannot and do not share limits for any fishing / small game or waterfowl.

However, we can party hunt for deer, moose and bear. Using other peoples tags
for deer and moose is very, very common place. For moose tags, there actually
is a formal process for applying together as a group. However, the tag is actually
issued to a single individual. Don't know of anyone that party-hunts for bears, but
it is legal.

I'm not sure why it would be 'unethical' to use another persons tag. That's pretty
much the purpose of party hunting - so everyone can hunt for the full week (or 2).
Would you really want to tag out the first hour of deer season and sit in camp for
the rest of the week? No sure how 'ethics' plays into this, unless we get into
someone getting a bunch of non-hunters into buying tags and then using them all.
I think we've only run out of tags a few years - 2000, 2003 and 2008 come to mind.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:29 pm

Party hunting is legal in MN.  I especially like it since my zone is a "lottery zone"....meaning I can only tag one deer per season regardless of weapon.  With Mrs. Patriot hunting now, that makes things easier.  We put her tag on the first deer killed.  She doesn't hunt much in the late season, so this keep "my" tag open.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

El Conquistador

Postby El Conquistador » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:33 am

It's an interesting topic with some serious ramifications.

I strongly feel that if you buy your tag, and the state sells you a tag that gives you the right to kill a specific animal.  What you do with that tag after the transaction has taken place should be up to you.  If you want to give it to your son, daughter, wife, sister, brother, cousin's father-in-law, whatever, fine.  If you want to sell it on ebay, transfer it to a client, or throw it away, that should be fine too.

Where problems might appear is when outfitters start buying up tags until none are available to purchase anymore and then sell those tags to clients with the condition that they book a hunt could be a problem.

My opinion is that we take our chances and allow group (party) hunting, and if we end up with a problem, add some regulation.

Huntingdad

Postby Huntingdad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Like the ethics question it is up to that group and the laws of that state etc. If you want to share your fish limit duck limit or deer tag with a group or friend that should be up to you. I think it should be ok and legal everywhere. But that is just my opinion.

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:38 am

i have not hunted in ny state for over 30 years when i used to hunt in the catskills we allways applied for doe tags the application had places for 4 names on it but you had to have the tag in your possession to use it it was only good for 1 deer that didnt matter because the 4 of us all agreed if anyone shot a deer everyone would get some of it now im hunting in njand everyone i hunt with still has the same perspective if anyone shoots an animal everyone that wants some gets a piece or that person does not hunt with us anymore the same goes when we book a hunt with an outfitter hank k

SteveH2112

Postby SteveH2112 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:39 pm

As said many times before. Many hunters consider things unethical because it's not part of that area's hunting tradition.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:30 pm

I don't get the "it should be okay because it works to my advantage" thinking . What's next ? I should be able to shoot deer at night and thet's when they feed and since I have tags , what's the big deal ..........
Semper Fi !

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Party hunting for deer in Wisconsin is perfectly legal.  The things you start to see when someone takes advantage of the situation though, is the exclusion of that person from the camp.  We've had a couple guys that were trigger happy and just filled tags, anyone's tags, they aren't around anymore. 

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features