Deja Vu All Over Again -- 2011 Calendar

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
shaman

Deja Vu All Over Again -- 2011 Calendar

Postby shaman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:56 am

I guess I must have lost the 2011 D&DH calendar in the pile of mail.  I was digging through, looking for bills to pay, and stumbled across it.  I still didn't have time to look at it until after my second cup of coffee this morning.

Yikes!!! Did anyone catch that the prediction for 2011 is exactly the same as the 2010 calendar-- except "2010" is replaced with "2011?"  If y'all noticed it, point me to the thread.  I've been busy with my new job the past few weeks and have not been keeping up here as much as I would have like.

In fact 2011 is NOT going to be like 2010 or 2013 or 2005  as stated in the un-updated text.  I think I have Charlie's schtick down, so allow me to give you the shamanic substitution:

The shaman says, that if you believe  Charlie's predictions, you can expect a near-classic rut.   The full moon after the Equinox will occur on the 27th of September, 5 days after the Autumnal Equinox.  In November, the full moon occurs on November 10th. From there, the Chase Phase will build quickly with the peak of activity occuring on the 15th.    Similar years to this are 2000, 1992, and 1973.

If you prefer Jake Meyer's methodology, you can peg the peak of the rut in November 2011 at about 10 AM on the 12th.  This will be about the time the carcasses will start piling up outside Meyer's General Store in Lennoxburg. Kentucky due to it being the first morning of Kentucky's Rifle Opener.  Jake bases his predictions on the fact that it is hard for a buck to be in rut when he's hanging off the meat pole.

But Shaman!  What if I don't live anywhere near Lennoxburg, KY?

I don't want to go putting words into Jake's mouth, but if you look what Jake's saying, you can usually count on the action being hottest on the weekends closest to what Charlie's using to calculate his peak. Charlie looks at it from the front end of the system:  the sun and the moon are the causitive factors here.  Jake's looking at it from the back end of the system, the body count.  On weekends, you usually have the most hunters out.  The most bucks usually get whacked on the weekend.  After they get whacked, they don't rut no more.  If you have a big influx of hunters into an area, it will supress deer activity to some extent. Therefore, if something big like the Rifle Opener intervenes, the peak of the rut may not have as many players left to do the rutting.

What do I think?  I  think Charlie is right up to a point. However, I think the rut I experienced here in Kentucky was considerably different than what Charlie predicted.  My observed activity came on well before it was expected and peaked well before the prediction.  Of course, the 2010 pattern was well outside of the normal situation, so  I don't want to throw stones at Charlie's predictions.  If I remember correctly, the 2010 rut was a once-a-generation sort of thing. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Gulfcapt

RE: Deja Vu All Over Again -- 2011 Calendar

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:02 am

WHAT I Seen up to date was the rut was still holding close to years previouse! our rut is starting up as we speak in some areas down here

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:32 am

The rut here in Michigan was tough to judge.
Trickle, trickle, trickle.
Bucks were on and off of rutting activity all season.
Tough to judge....Charlie did mention that might happen.
Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:16 pm

The best rut activity I seen all year was around Nov. 15-16. Also, halloween weekend. It was sporadic in between those dates. The calendar was pretty accurate for 2010.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:14 am

I guess my original observation is going unanswered:  Charlie's prediction for 2011 is the same as that for 2010.  Is that a typo or what?  What really is Charlie's prediction for 2011?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:40 am

Specific rut predictions are the wildlife writer's version of predicting the weather.

And we all know how accurate that is!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features