ethics

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
kansas hunter

ethics

Postby kansas hunter » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:14 pm

you guys will have to excuse me,I have been deer hunting only three years. I keep hearing about baiting deer in. I am having a time trying to figure all of this out.I take it people dont like this because it takes advantage and increases our odds of getting a deer. my problem is if this is the issue, should we not hunt during the rut also.

bobow

RE: ethics

Postby bobow » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:44 pm

I assume you are in Kansas so I would suggest you make sure it is even legal to bait.

In IL for instance it is no longer legal due to CWD.  Food plots are still allowed.

After that it is your decision to make.  Many feel it does not help during hunting season.  Others swear by it.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:15 pm

If it is legal in your area and you are comfortable with it, do it. Scents, mock scrapes, calling... to some degree all of it is baiting including planting food plots and hunting over cultivated land. Many have railed against tools that improve accuracy within the bow and muzzleloader communities, it would seem to me that the "Ethical" thing to do would be to exhaust every possible effort for a clean, efficient, humane kill. This flies in the face of tradition and the unique challenges presented by doing things the "old fashioned" way and gets those who disagree labeled as unethical.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:33 pm

Whats the different between putting out bait or hunting over acorns that fell out of a tree, or hunting beside a cut corn field, or planted food plot, or finding a area were they browes on forage.. it all comes down to hunting over bait of some sort, and im sure their are a few that will argue this point also lol... I plant and also have corn feeders, that go off twice a day (Morn6;30am & evening 4;00 pm) for 40 seconds each... Feeding the hungry..

piebal

Postby piebal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:48 pm

Its really simple ...some people wanna kill deer the easy way and bait....a lazy hunter!!! and some people wanna hunt deer the hard way tryin to figure out the deers next move and using natural food from the forest.....that would be the thrill seeker hunter! Its that simple... I myself am a thrill seeker!!

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Its really simple ...some people wanna kill deer the easy way and bait....a lazy hunter!!! and some people wanna hunt deer the hard way tryin to figure out the deers next move and using natural food from the forest.....that would be the thrill seeker hunter! Its that simple... I myself am a thrill seeker!!

I'm both I guess....
In Michigan it's illegal to bait.  In Ohio it's legal.
Nothing better than going out for an evening hunt and spending the evening watching deer interact.
Food keeps them there.
Deer browse so they walk and feed.
Baiting is better for bow-hunting.
I'm not usually too concerned when I have a gun in my hands.
I'm a thrill seeker whether I kill over bait or natural browse...no difference to my heart rate.
Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:06 pm

I couldn't argue it strongly one way or another.  I've never hunted over bait piles, but if it helps get people involved in the outdoors, I don't have a problem with it.

I hunt over hundreds of acres of crop land....I suppose that's bait too.[;)]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:07 pm

ORIGINAL: IsitInTREES
I'm a thrill seeker whether I kill over bait or natural browse...no difference to my heart rate.

Well stated!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:54 am

here in nj it is legal to bait deer for years i tried not to bait but then i began seeing fewer deer in my area they were short stopping by a bait pile this changed the direction they moved as a result i had to rearrange my stand site and when it happened again i said the he with itand i started to bait in a new zone last year i went on a wounded warrior hunt here in nj and they baited every site there were hunters positioned hank k

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:59 am

ORIGINAL: krawiech

here in nj it is legal to bait deer for years i tried not to bait but then i began seeing fewer deer in my area they were short stopping by a bait pile this changed the direction they moved as a result i had to rearrange my stand site and when it happened again i said the he with itand i started to bait in a new zone last year i went on a wounded warrior hunt here in nj and they baited every site there were hunters positioned hank k

This is basically the only issue I have with it. Easier, harder....it makes no difference. That's up to the hunter. Where I draw the line is with the exact situation that you describe....where the presence of so much bait alters the pattern and you have no choice to but to bait also if you want any chance of seeing deer. Like smoking, I don't care what poison you choose to contaminate yourself with, but a smoker's right ends at my nose, and a baiter's ends when it impacts my hunting. It is for this reason alone that I would oppose tooth and nail any effort to make full bore bait piles legal in Illinois.

And yes, some would argue that Illinois is one big bait pile of corn. But when there's SO MUCH of it, then that negates any advantage of concentrating deer. Comparing cornfields on a given farm where there might be FIVE MILES of perimeter for a deer to approach from to a 10'X10' bait pile where there's 40 lineal feet is patently rediculous. That, and once a crop field or an oak tree is barren then it ceases to be an attractant. A bait pile can be added to whenever the hunter wants to, AND it's portable. You can move it to suit your needs. Try doing that with a 200 acre cornfield or an oak tree that's 3' in diameter!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features