Legal vs Ethical

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Gulfcapt

RE: Legal vs Ethical

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:22 am

This will always be a battle between what some think are right and some think is wrong! If your sitting in a blind without a tag filled maybe theirs not as many deer as you might think their is! A person that can bost about seeing alot of deer every year should feel fortunate that he /she has that abundance at hand,and by all means be able to fill a tag/Tags before the doe becomes pregnant but if your hunting this late in the game without a deer I would step back and analyes the situation.. The deer you shot belongs to everyone before you pull that trigger, maybe that neighbor of yours don't want you killing it either because your taking a buck out of the equation for the following year..

everyone so far said they do it for herd management!!!!! PLEASE PEOPLE you shot them because you love the sport, love the meat, love the outdoors.. If your that worried about farmers, vehicals,etc, etc patition your state to get sharpe shooters involved. but you won't!!! because we all love seeing deer when you are out hunting, we don't worry about the farmers,and the drivers of vehicals when were sitting in a stand.. Were hopeing for that B&C or pope & young to cross our paths. I will say this tho don't let me detour you in your harvest, But please don't complain if you find yourself sitting days on end without seeing nothing down the road! Because the only one you will have to blame is the guy in the mirror.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:13 pm

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

If your that worried about farmers, vehicals,etc, etc patition your state to get sharpe shooters involved. but you won't!!! because we all love seeing deer when you are out hunting, we don't worry about the farmers,and the drivers of vehicals when were sitting in a stand.. Were hopeing for that B&C or pope & young to cross our paths. I will say this tho don't let me detour you in your harvest, But please don't complain if you find yourself sitting days on end without seeing nothing down the road! Because the only one you will have to blame is the guy in the mirror.

Point one: Getting Sharp shooters involved is a financial drain on resources as opposed to regulated hunts that hunters pay to partake in which is a financial boon to management coffers.

Point 2: In the mirror- This, ultimately, is what it boils down to: Can you live with yourself regarding the actions you take/took? One may be able to live very well killing a pregnant doe now and then, but who are we to tell him/her that it is wrong given the season and bag limit laws for your particular area. The fact is that the majority does taken after the rut are not pregnant with developed fetuses and, at most, development has barely reached zygote stage.

Huntingdad

Postby Huntingdad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:39 pm

My first post here so I will say I agree and disagree with nothing!!

That being said we can move on. I read the article and it really hit home. It reminded me why I love this country so much. If you are within the established law you can do what you want. If your state alows you to feed or bait and you choose not to that is up to you. If you choose to bait on your property then great. This subject in general is a slippery slope of a debate to say the least. I can tell other what I think is ethical to me and it may not be what you would do. But if that is with in the law then it is only ones opinion on what set of ethics you choose to follow. Do I run feeders on my Florida property yes. They are tended year round as well. We all love this country and this sport!!!!!! God bless you all and I hope you all have a great New Year!!!!

Huntingdad

Postby Huntingdad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:43 pm

Tried to post this in other post. My daughter with our christmas buck.A trail cam pick of him as well.

MSG1954

Postby MSG1954 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Gulfcapt, here's the analysis:

In terms of numbers I've seen six does on this small public property, and two bucks.

In fact, I passed on one of them the first day I was out in October (a nice six pointer, 140 lbs or so), because I saw him sparring with a much bigger buck while scouting the night before. (I also saw eight turkeys this day within bow range, but that's another story).

The very next morning I'm back out specifically going after the bigger buck, and to my left comes the dreaded sound of a coyote pack killing a small animal (not sure what it was, but it was am awful sound). I had a visual on the coyotes as they were jumping up and down on it way out of bow range.

While this was going on what do I see get out of bed 70 yards to the NW? You guessed it, the bigger buck. He's looking over his shoulder wondering where the coyotes are going. He looks at the trail that would have led him straight to me, and the prairie grass beyond. As bad luck would have it he goes the way of yonder prairie grass.

You are absolutely correct I hunt deer for a multitude of reasons that include all the things you said. However, I'm not worried about the negative effects of deer, but it is part of the situation...part of the equation.

(Come to think it of it though, I've had a few close calls with deer running out in front of me while driving.)

(Along these lines) as a law abiding hunter and citizen; I therefore, am a part of deer management as legislated by the state of Indiana. Heck, aren’t we all when we hunt legally?

I do understand where you're coming from though, and I respect your opinion. I would like to see more deer!

My hunting log will show the coyote numbers are up this year (at least on the aforementioned property).

As part of my management plan I'm going to try reducing their numbers some (inline with the regulations, of course).

Good hunting!
Mike

MSG1954

Postby MSG1954 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Huntingdad,
Awesome buck, the smile on your daughter says it all!!
Holy crow, they get that big in Flordia?
Looks like the feeders worked!

Good hunting
Mike

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:12 pm

MSG1954 If you don't mind me asking what part of Indiana do you hunt? I have lease in Duboise CO. I have hunted up their now for 5-6 years I enjoy the place alot its deffinetly a change from Florida, I do wish you the best and Happy New years!! also welcome to D&DH

Huntingdad thats a heck of a smile your daughter has on her face,Ive said it before on this forum I love it when our youth ends up with deer of that caliber tell her congrates
Aslo welcome toD&DH

Huntingdad

Postby Huntingdad » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:45 am

Thanks for the welcome guys. Yeah a deer with my daughter is simply the best time of my life. We both start shaking like crazy after the shot. Then when we recover the deer we both jump up and down together like crazy!!!!! We both thank god for letting us take such a wonderful animal. Her smile lasts for days after we take a animal. She wants to be a animal rescuer and a hunter. I love when people ask her how she can be both. She tells them all about hunting and all it does for the animals and nature and such.

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features