Legal vs Ethical

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Highlander Archery

RE: Legal vs Ethical

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:45 pm

Mankind has exploited the earth. Killing far more creatures with impunity to plant the grains, vegetables, and fruits we need to provide necessary nutrients for our survival. Man has also done an unprecedented job of pulling many species back from the brink of extinction. With the advent of regulated hunting more species have been saved and brought to a thriving status and part of that has been because of the killing of pregnant females.

Despite the concrete jungle we have created, animals thrive today because of science based management goals.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:56 pm

Please name one animal that they killed prego animals for the sake of bettering a already thriving species! I agree with you Highlander on alot of your point very valid indeed, but The same person that will kill a pego doe because they are overpopulated will kill a yotie bobcat couger wolf and what ever other preditor that also helps manage that same deerherd we speak of thats so over welming. please someone explain that one to me why kill something that is helping you control your herd density then???

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:08 am

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

Man has raped the earth highlander, and trying to suck every natural resource avalable out of it and pump it back into the air.. we manage herds because we strip the grounds in which animals lived from, for our own gain,and will keep doing so till one day we will have nowhere to plant a acre of grass if this earth can even sustain for that long.. please dont try and glorify your response to the ???? at hand!

Gulfcapt, are you even aware that today's whitetail numbers far exceed those that existed prior to European colonization?

The hard facts are that in many areas of this country there is a dire need to reduce the deer population. Deer are suffering of disease and starvation, farmers are watching their crops being consumed and people are dying on the roads due to collisions with deer.

To suggest that hunting these does in the post rut is somehow enethical is silly. To equate it to sin is outrageous. And to compare it to abortion is downright dispicable.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:22 am

JPH don't give a history lesson on whitetails!!!!! People die from every aspect of life, and if the deer population is that bad in areas maybe you should get your brother Obama to lenghthen the season alittle on front end of hunting season to care of these matters!

and as for the farmers most won't let a person hunt their property anyways been their done that!

Dispicable is killing something not born bible boy

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:37 am

ABORTION; ANY EXPXPULSION OF A FETUS BEFORE IT IS ABLE TO SURVIVE.
right out of webster JPH
ORIGINAL: JPH

Man has raped the earth highlander, and trying to suck every natural resource avalable out of it and pump it back into the air.. we manage herds because we strip the grounds in which animals lived from, for our own gain,and will keep doing so till one day we will have nowhere to plant a acre of grass if this earth can even sustain for that long.. please dont try and glorify your response to the ???? at hand!

Gulfcapt, are you even aware that today's whitetail numbers far exceed those that existed prior to European colonization?

The hard facts are that in many areas of this country there is a dire need to reduce the deer population. Deer are suffering of disease and starvation, farmers are watching their crops being consumed and people are dying on the roads due to collisions with deer.

To suggest that hunting these does in the post rut is somehow enethical is silly. To equate it to sin is outrageous. And to compare it to abortion is downright dispicable.

RangerJ

Postby RangerJ » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:14 am

showPicture("12/5/2010 4:03:45 PM",0,0,0,89884,10)

hookset6969

titleAndStar(547,0,false,false,"","")

[align=center] [/align]
Not to make this post a NUGE post but how do you get stuck with a ticket for hunting to close to a bait pile when it is not on your property [8|] That would mean that my fellow landowner could stick bait along our property line and screw me out of hunting my own land, I don't think so. Even if he was hunting over a bait pile here is your legal vs ethical, If it is against the law but ethical in your eyes should you be able to do it [8|] [align=right]
Yes it can Happen. Here in Georgia if you are 200 yards close to your neighbors property and he is baiting,you can be in a jam.And you could not legally hunt that area.[/align]

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:00 am

Everyone has danced around this subject YES or NO

Answer The simple ???? IS IT ETHICAL TO KILL A PREG DOE OR ANIMAL FOR THAT MATTER, AND DON'T USE THE LAW TO JUSTIFY IT BECAUSE A 5 YEAR OLD KID ON THE STREET KNOWS RIGHT FROM WRONG WHEN IT COMES TO THIS SUBJECT!!!lololololol

Apparently my answers were not clear enough. YES, I believe it is ethical to kill pregnant does to keep the population in check!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:15 am

JPH don't give a history lesson on whitetails!!!!! People die from every aspect of life, and if the deer population is that bad in areas maybe you should get your brother Obama to lenghthen the season alittle on front end of hunting season to care of these matters!

and as for the farmers most won't let a person hunt their property anyways been their done that!

Gulfcapt, thank you for your many well written and thoughtful replies on this topic. You are really winning over a lot of hearts and minds with your anti post-rut doe hunting position. Well done!

There is just one problem. You kicked off this subject back on page 2 with this little gem, "Come to think of it afew on this forum this way, they will preach the bible to you, but will kill something that hasn't got a chance to live yet.. [s.i.c.]" Now I know I am "bible boy" and all but I'm still confused. Who is preaching the Bible here and exactly where does it prohibit the killing of a pregnant doe for meat and/or conservation?

Please, take your time.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:53 am

Im not looking to win over hearts and minds like you, Your quick to blame me for kicking this off but you were right here typing also along with others,your the type of person that will blame someone else for something you had your hands in.. case in point.. are still following me here because i see in the past with me and others you get sidetract. I made valid points in all that i wrote. then dispicable, morally and ethicly offensive came up on apoint that webster cleared for us.. No im against the murder of preg doe especially when you can get them pre rut.. why shouldn't you be able to if their as overpopulated as you 4 has been stating
ORIGINAL: JPH

Gulfcapt, thank you for your many well written and thoughtful replies on this topic. You are really winning over a lot of hearts and minds with your anti post-rut doe hunting position. Well done!

There is just one problem. You kicked off this subject back on page 2 with this little gem, "Come to think of it afew on this forum this way, they will preach the bible to you, but will kill something that hasn't got a chance to live yet.. [s.i.c.]" Now I know I am "bible boy" and all but I'm still confused. Who is preaching the Bible here and exactly where does it prohibit the killing of a pregnant doe for meat and/or conservation?

Please, take your time.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:04 am

Its in your religion to kill unborn things then? As long as a man behind a desk makes a law to ok it? Then by all means no one should object to a abortion then either right?

No, that doesn't follow. With all due respect to you, you're committing the logical fallacy called equivocation here. Hinduism may equate the value of a human being with the value of an animal (actually, it could be argued that Hinduism places a higher value on animals), but Christianity and most other religions do not. Therefore, the value of a human fetus is not equated to the value of an unborn animal.

Besides that, we kill pregnant animals all the time for many reasons. Here's one -- if I catch a mouse in my mousetrap, I consider it a very good thing if that mouse is female and pregnant. Even if I feel badly about it, I consider it a good thing.

BTW IF A PERSON CALLS HIMSELF RELIGOUS ETHICS SHOULD FOLLOW RIGHT BEHIND.

That is absolutely correct. Most of us would agree that a religion is worthless if it doesn't teach ethical behavior. There should be a connection between the ethical stance of a religious person and his religious views. However, I don't how a teaching against the killing of a pregnant animal can be drawn from the Christian's ethical sourcebook, the Bible.

Everyone has danced around this subject YES or NO

Answer The simple ???? IS IT ETHICAL TO KILL A PREG DOE OR ANIMAL FOR THAT MATTER, AND DON'T USE THE LAW TO JUSTIFY IT BECAUSE A 5 YEAR OLD KID ON THE STREET KNOWS RIGHT FROM WRONG WHEN IT COMES TO THIS SUBJECT!!!lololololol

Highlander your preaching to the choir here, and its still killing of a unborn no matter how you look at it.. But I know your trying to make a point like I am...

JPH When in church walk up to the podium and ask this simple ?? to your congregation "Is it ethical to kill a preg doe", and only that ???????. See what replies might follow, or try it with people you don't know lolol

If you have the good lords phone # to prove me wrong JPH please by all means call him so I could be set in place here! because if you show me where it says you can kill a preg anything in your bible its time for me to go to the darker side

In answer to the first question -- No dancing. Everyone seems to have expressed himself or herself pretty clearly.

Second question -- it's definitely not clear that the view of a 5-year old kid on the street has any bearing on this subject. Despite the innocence of a child, a child's moral sense is not superior to anyone else's.

In general, this conversation illustrates two things:
(1.) that ethics cannot be based on personal opinion or strong feelings.
(2.) that the debate over "legal vs. ethical" will not be resolved on an Internet discussion board.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features