WW's Question Of The Week #3

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Woods Walker

WW's Question Of The Week #3

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:04 pm

What Is Your "Techno-Limit"?

Obviously, there are no right or wrong answers to this, and everyone's limits will be different. Some may have none at all. It all depends on what you want from your hunting, and what means to you. I'm probably one of the more extreme, in that mine is...with the exception of a flashlight...anything that requires the use of batteries or a microchip. I hunt to ESCAPE the modern world, not bring it with me. I like simple. The more there's a technological layer between me and the wild world, the less I enjoy it. I wasn't always this way, so maybe it's also a function of aging, or the natural evolution in the life of a hunter. Whatever........How about you?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

buckhunter21

RE: WW's Question Of The Week #3

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:52 am

I'd go as far as what I do now, and that's bringing a cell phone with me.  This is not only handy in case of emergency, but I can also pass the time a bit by texting other friends that are hunting to see how they are doing.  Don't get me wrong, I love the outdoors and I enjoy it while I'm out there....I don't let the phone get in my way of that!  Beyond that, I don't think I could get anymore technical w/out it interfering with the feel of the hunt.
QDM!

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:44 am

Hmm. I guess I will answer the question by first listing the "tech" stuff I carry now, that was lot in my equipment list in my early career:
- Cell phone 
- Optics
- Chemical hand warmers
- Satellite photographs
- Scent reduction products
- Red lens headlamp

Now a list of items that I still do not use, but have no personal objection to:
- ATV
- GPS
- Heated blind or shooting tower
- Butt-out tool
- Ghillie suit
- Trail cameras
- Crossbow (okay I have some objection but I know I won't be able to draw a bow forever)

And finally a list of things I hope I never resort to:
- Electronic calls
- High fences
- Food attractants or bait
- Shooting from a vehicle

rwr

Postby rwr » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:34 pm

In part it would depend on how well I knew the area I was going to hunt in. If not familair I bring map, compass, gps, cell phone. Every now and then even in a familiar place I will bring gps,compus, map just to keep an edge. I like the answers the iowa pro staffer gave.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:00 pm

I admit, I do have my cell phone with me.......both as a safety device should my 2-way radio to my buddy fail...and to text my nephew from time to time to see how he`s doing.

I understand, and appreciate your point here......that the idea is/should be, getting away from the "modern" world, but, I`m hooked on the modern stuff I suppose. I figure if, as I get older, and stiffen up sooner, I can entertain myself, even tho uncomfortable, I can sit longer......

For what it`s worth, I often pull my small NKJ Bible from my pack and read while on stand too......
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:29 pm

I'd have to say "techno" does cover a lot. I carry this one to the extremes though so bear with me.
My climbing treestand.
Mathews bow.
Carbon arrows.
Scent-lok clothing.
Compared to what I started hunting with in the early seventys, these advancements are a god send. Oh yea, one more. My truck that gets 25 miles to the gallon!
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:33 pm

It`s interesting to see the differences in what some call "techno", vs what others consider that to be........
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:01 pm

Well for me, as far as stuff I take into the field, it's anything that requires a battery or a microchip (with the exception of a flashlight). [:D]

Don't need it...don't want it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features