Dan's Question of the Week: Muzzleloading

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: Muzzleloading

Postby Dan Schmidt » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi guys,

Question for this week: For those who enjoy muzzleloading, please share your favorite load setup. Pyrodex? Triple Seven? Blackhorn? Which grain combination (loose or pellets) works best out of your gun, which bullet style is your favorite, and what is your maximum range?

Everyone seems to have different loads and combinations that work best for them. Please share your experiences.

Best,
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

mnslayer

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Muzzleloading

Postby mnslayer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:05 pm

bought two 50cal buckhorn cva's couple years ago, was just getting started and wanted to learn the sport before spending too much on equiptment. Tried a couple of rounds and settled with 295 grain powerbelt bullets and 100 grains of triple 7 pellets. was impressed by the 2 inch pattern at 100 yards and the fact they don't foul the rifling like the sable rounds and you get a true 50cal bullet not a 45cal with plastic jacket. checked at the range how many shots i could do before i felt a change in loading or accuracy. I was up to 12 rounds before i felt the slightest change in resistance loading. I know this is extreme and should not be practiced but I wanted to know how clean they really shot. probably could fine tune with powder but it's more then accurate enough for hunting out to 150 yards if i bump it to 150 grain pellet load. have not taken a deer with it yet, maybe this season.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm shooting a 225 grain Powerbelt in front of 100 grains of Shockey's Gold fffg. My gun is a nickel .45 caliber CVA Kodiak topped with a Bushnell 3-9 power scope. I'm real confident out to 100 yards, but I haven't shot any test shots farther than that distance, so I guess I'll limit myself to 100 yards and under. I'm presently getting a three shot group just under 2 inches at 100 yards.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:39 pm

I have a T/C Omega .50 cal with the thumb through the stock with a Simmons 3-9x40 scope. I use the red Hornaday 300 grain hollow point slug/sabot with 100 grains of pyrodex powder. The nylon sleeve that you put the slug in has a stem on it that will hold up to 3 - 50 grain pellets of pyrodex powder, and they come in a plastic carrying case that will hold 5 rounds with the powder attached so you don't have to fumble around with two different boxes when you are reloading in the field. The cases even have an area that can be used to store the 209 primers eliminating another box to carry. I am confident out to 100 yards only because the range I sight in at is 100 yards long. I would like to see what the gun will do at longer ranges.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:30 pm

I have a NEF Huntsman 50 cal . My bullet is the 240 gr Hornaday XTP pushed out of the muzzle by 90 grains of Triple 7 loose powder . I tried different loads and the 90 grains was consistant and hasn't failed me . The farthest I have taken a shot is about 130 yards . I have a 1 1/2 X 4 1/2 power scope on the Huntsman .

Semper Fi !

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:35 pm

I have a Traditions pursuit pro xlt 50 cal that shoots 245gr powerbelts with 150gr triple seven pelets . I take this gun out of state with me and hunt from the ground . I am a pour judge of distance from the ground and like the extra umf to make up for my shortcomings .

My favorite is an Austin Halleck 50 cal that shoots a round ball with 90 grains of loose powder . Its all good at a 100 yards but I wouldnt shoot it much further .
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:31 am

i shoot a cva wolf in 50 caliber using a 295 grain powerbelt bullet winchester 209 primer 95 grains american piuoneer powder and accurate out to 400 yards but most of my shots are 50 yards or less i also have a t/c white mountain carbine in 54 caliber i am shooting a t/c maxi hunter bullet a cci number 11 cap 100 grains of american pioneer powder and the accuracy is about the same as my wolf so i guess you could say the accuracy is about all i can get because of me both rifles have 3x89 scopes on them and i can reload without cleaning for about 10 shots but i dont i run a patch every shot while target practicing because that is how i will shoot my rrifle when i hunt remember 1 shot 1 kill hank k

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:25 am

Great insights, guys. Thanks for sharing!
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Swampbuckdown

Postby Swampbuckdown » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 am

100 grains of White hots (pellet)
295 grain powerbelt hollow points (.50 cal)
winchester 209 muzzleloader primers

zero'd at 150yd. 2" groups using wolf cva with cheap 3x9 scope.

Swampbuckdown

Postby Swampbuckdown » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:13 pm

Tip:

Don't forget to fire a few caps thru your gun after cleaning to make sure nipple or plug is truly dry, or you might get a no-fire shot like I had opening day. Instead of boom..it was phut.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features