Dan's Question of the Week: Muzzleloading

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
JScherer15

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Muzzleloading

Postby JScherer15 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:46 pm

I bought a new bonecollector. I had alot of trouble getting it to group at 100 yrds. Was using 250 grain Hornady hollow point. Thought it was the new scope( DOA 250). Went and bought TC (yellow tipped 250 grain, shock waves. After that no problems. First shot out of stand produced a 13 pt 148 1/8 green scored Southern Ill whitetail. So of course, its pretty high on my list on good purchases! Good Luck

eagle1953

Postby eagle1953 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:22 pm

I have 3 muzzle loaders T/C RENAGADE 50cal, T/C HAWKIN 50cal both shoot great with 80grs. ff goex with the 240gr. T/C Cheap Shot Sabots, then I have a CVA Hunterbolt 209/w Bushnell 1.5-4.5 scope. I use 100 grs, 777 pellets and 250 gr. T/C Mag Express Sabots. Hunt Safe and Good Luck to all.
I don`t kill innocet animals, just the ones that look guilty.

baddoghunter

Postby baddoghunter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:23 pm

Dan I use a 348 grain Powerbelt in my 50 cal Thompson Center Omega with a 3 X 9 Nikon Buckmaster Scope and practice to 100 yards. I am dialed in one inch high at 100 yards to give me a little room for error on yardage and would never attempt much more then that maybe 125 tops. I also switched this year from 2 / 50 grain Triple 7 pellets to 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder after reading and hearing about how easy the bullets went down a fired barrel for multiple shots. I have to say after using Triple 7 for a number of years I am sold on the Blackhorn 209. I could push a second and sometimes even a third Powerbelt down a dirty barrel after shooting Triple 7 but I would have to use quite a bit of effort on the second round and a lot on the third. Sometimes I even had to pound on the ram rod a little bit to make sure I was at my seated bullet mark and thats not good to do.I was only grouping 3 or 4 inches with the Triple 7. When I switched I was amazed and had both better grouping off a bench rest and was holding less then a 2 inch group at 100 which is good for me. But the best part was I pushed probably 15 rounds down the barrel with no swabbing in between with very little effort. It was almost like pushing it down an unfired barrel. I also had a much easier time taking the breech plug out aftewards to clean the gun. A friend who switched with me had the same gun in a thumb hole stock and was just resting his elbows on the bench was shooting a BDC scope and had no problem with the same set up hitting a fist size group out to 175 yards.
My House Is Protected By The Good Lord And Guns.
And You Might Meet Them Both If You Show Up Here Not Welcome Son.

MuzzleHeadWayne

Postby MuzzleHeadWayne » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:23 pm

Dan I use my muzzle loaders during the regular riffle season as well as during muzzle loader season. I have two T/C Omega's. One is set up with a 1 and a half by 4 and a half Bushnell muzzle loader scope for when I hunt the thicker woods. And my other Omega is set up with a 3 x 9 Cabela's Pine Ridge muzzle loader BDC scope for when I hunt the field edges. I use 100 grains of triple seven pellets and a Harvester 300 grain Scorpion PT Gold with a Harvester crush rib sabot. (I used to shoot powerbelts but found that the Harvester bullets load just as easy with the crush rib sabots and they are a lot more accurate than the powerbelts) I have consistently shot less than one inch groups at a hundred yards with this combination. If I intend to shoot over 125 yards I will step up to 150 grains of triple seven pellets. But I will not shoot over 200 yards. I also use CCI 209M primers and never had a misfire (yet). I think the best combination is the one that fits YOU! The combination that YOU can shoot well. And the combination that gives YOU confidence. It's good to see there are so many variations posted here. Happy hunting my fellow MuzzleHeads.
Did ya ever notice, the best tasting meats always come in their natural wrappings?

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:39 am

I have a CVA .50 cal.  I forget the model.
I use 100 grain equiv. of Triple Seven
Powerbelt bullets.

It's a cheap set-up but I'll managed to kill a doe every year with it for 9 years.

I like the advertising for the new Bone Collector and I hope to get it,if the gun ends up being a good one.

Anyone have good results with this... I've heard a few bad reveiws.  Hoping for good news.
Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

tbonecpa

Postby tbonecpa » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:00 am

I have a Remington Genesis 50 cal that cost me a whole $150 with the 3-9x Cabelas Pine Ridge scope and mounts(big sale at Cabelas plus a rebate from Remington). Already had a ML but couldn't pass up the great deal. Currently shooting 240 gr Dead Center bullets over two Pyrodex pellets with Winchester 209 primers, sighted 2" high at 100 yds. Shoots tight groups and used it this year during our regular gun season to take a nice 5 1/2 yr old buck at 100 yds. Recovered the bullet and it held together well on the big boy. The off season plan is to work up a little stronger load using some Triple Seven loose powder I have and 300 gr SST bullets with more ML friendly primers. If I can keep tight groups I want to sight that set up for a 200 yd zero and continue to use that as my primary deer gun regardless the season.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:38 pm

I hunt with a Knight .50 cal. Disc Extreme, camo stock and SS Green Mountain barrel, topped with a Leupold 3x9.

I had been shooting 110 grains of Pyrodex Select, but am trying the new Blackhorn 209 with the CCI 209M primer. Not sure if I`m sold on the Blackhorn yet, but time will tell.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features