Scope mounted on Barrel???

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
buckbull

Scope mounted on Barrel???

Postby buckbull » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:09 pm

Long time Deer and Deer Hunting reader but first time blogger. The December issue, page 32 shows the author sighting what appears to be a remington 870 on a Caldwell Lead Sled. It appears the scope is mounted in the middle of the barrel. As anyone ever seen this? Why would the author mount the scope on the barrel instead of the receiver?

Gulfcapt

RE: Scope mounted on Barrel???

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Theory behind it is you can switch from one barrel(slug) too another barrel(bird) without having to resight a scope since it is mounted directly to the barrel!

never seen one mounted that far forward before.

welcome to D&DH

buckbull

RE: Scope mounted on Barrel???

Postby buckbull » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:49 pm

I've never seen one mounted that far either. You would need some major eye relief in your optics (similiar to pistol scopes) for that to even be possible. Also, if you wanted to mount it on the barrel wouldn't a cantilever barrel be a better choice. I'm not a fan of the cantilever, just seems to me it would be a better choice than mounting it in the middle of the barrel. I bought a browning A-bolt 12 guage slug gun so my scope is mounted on my receiver. My prior slug gun which I use as a backup is an 870 with a slug barrel, it just has that plate that mounts to the side of the receiver once you remove the pins.

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features