magazine article suggestion

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
fr0sty

magazine article suggestion

Postby fr0sty » Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 am

I just received my latest issue of D&DH the other day. Understandably, the number of pages is a little thin at this time of year. One way to boost the pages at little cost would be to include an article from one of the earlier issues of D&DH.

I purchased the history dvd a few months back and have really enjoyed reading those old articles. I think many of your readers would appreciate a teaser of those bygone days in their current issues. Who knows, it may even prompt a few new orders of the history dvd.

Ohio farms

Re: magazine article suggestion

Postby Ohio farms » Wed May 11, 2011 4:07 pm

I like your suggestion.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed May 11, 2011 7:43 pm

fr0sty wrote:I just received my latest issue of D&DH the other day. Understandably, the number of pages is a little thin at this time of year. One way to boost the pages at little cost would be to include an article from one of the earlier issues of D&DH.

I purchased the history dvd a few months back and have really enjoyed reading those old articles. I think many of your readers would appreciate a teaser of those bygone days in their current issues. Who knows, it may even prompt a few new orders of the history dvd.

X2 Great idea.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu May 12, 2011 5:37 am

fr0sty wrote:I just received my latest issue of D&DH the other day. Understandably, the number of pages is a little thin at this time of year. One way to boost the pages at little cost would be to include an article from one of the earlier issues of D&DH.

I'm certainly not the last word on this, but the cost may not be as "little" as we might think. Subscribers usually operate with the mistaken notion that the subscription price and cover price of the magazine pays the bills. In reality, the lion's share of a magazine's budget comes from advertising, and when advertising revenues are down, page count goes down. So, adding an article from a past issue without adding advertising to support those pages could actually come at considerable cost.

But, that brings up another idea. What if we had a standard "D&DH Classics" section in the spring issue, with its own advertising sponsor? Or, how many of us would like to see an annual stand-alone special issue of "D&DH Classics"? If enough advertisers would come on board, it might be worth kicking the idea around. Or maybe a section on the website could be "D&DH Classics." Now, there's a way to drive traffic to the D&DH site.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu May 12, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm sure that everything has a bottom line of which $ is involved, but if I pay x amount of $ per issue, should they all not be somewhat the same in size? What about my bottom line? I received my 2011 calendar in May...1/3 of it was non-functional. Again, what about my bottom line? I'm just saying...things are tough for everyone financially.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sun May 15, 2011 4:23 pm

I got the calendar in May too. What the heck, the year is almost half over.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Fri May 27, 2011 6:57 am

I like your idea also. I have another suggestion. We all know the whitetail world of today is different than yesterday's. I have read old articles about whitetails migrating like present day caribou. If true it would be a good atrilcle on where they summered , wintered and how they were hunted etc ???

markniklas

Postby markniklas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:49 am

Hi i am mark i read your articles but i need some more historical articles ...

DanburyBowhunter

Postby DanburyBowhunter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:22 am

I would like to see some articles about hunting tactics for doe hunting. Currently I am working off the assumption that many tactics for bucks are applicable to does. While I understand the fascination with bucks and big bucks especially, we have a serious over population problem here in CT so any info to help harvest does would be very usefull.
It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth.

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features