Pre-Orbital Lure

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Everyday Hunter

Re: Pre-Orbital Lure

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:00 am

Jerry Drake wrote:I have just bought some Pre-Orbital Lure and was wondering when would be a good time to start a mock scrape? End of June, beginning or middle of Aug? Over the years I have only found one scrape on my property.There has been some on the neighboring properties but not on mine. So I took a tractor with a box blade and made several passes in a lot of places hoping that I could get them to start. Just don't know when to start, maybe towards the end of velvet??? :roll:

Charlie 01 is right. Deer use licking branches 24/7/365. And they don't just lick branches that are over a scrape. So you can use pre-orbital gland lure to get them to pose in front of the camera any time.

You say bucks scrape on the adjacent property, but not on yours. That may be true, but if deer are on your property they will use licking branches even if they don't scrape the ground. Scraping the ground bare isn't absolutely necessary, but if I were you I'd scrape the ground beneath a licking branch you create because it does add a visual attraction. Bucks will be drawn to any spot where the earth is bared.

Start now. And, welcome to the D&DH forums.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

WBowhunt

Postby WBowhunt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:13 am

Everyday Hunter wrote:
WBowhunt wrote:I read that article as well and was thinking of giving it a try, but it is a little pricey for me. I am reluctant to spend that much on scent till I know it really works and hear from guys in the field using it

I understand being cautious; I'm the same way. But here's another way to look at it:

1. If a bottle of urine costs $12.95 and lasts five or six uses, and a bottle of pre-orbital costs $21.95 and lasts several months using it a drop at a time, which is the more expensive? Looking at it another way, if one buck can produce only one bottle of pre-orbital lure, but one doe can produce dozens upon dozens of bottles of urine, isn't a bottle of pre-orbital a pretty good deal at less than twice as much?

2. Not sure what you mean by "guys in the field." If the hunters from Iowa, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia who were quoted in the article weren't "guys in the field," then who were they?

Steve

I understand what you are saying Steve, But I also do not spend that kind of money on Does urine, or the latest greatest scent on the market, unless I have heard from folks that it works well and how they used it.
What I mean by Guys in the field is " not testimonials in an article" Watch any huntin' show, or read magazines and half of the these so called Pro-hunters are paid to sell the product, whether is works or not. So I prefer to hear from other average Joes like me who are not paid by sponsors or have some other vested interest in a product.
For example I found why waste my money on these so called wind indicator products, when I learned from an average joe that the best things to use are things like the seeds from Milk weed plants, or the small feathers from a down pillow. Or make your own for a 1/4 of the price with a small bottle and some Talc powder.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:55 am

WBowhunt, what we used to do was tie about a 7" peice of tread somewhere near the top of our bow for checking wind direction. Seems to me that would still work. What would that cost you?
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:38 am

WBowhunt wrote: I understand what you are saying Steve, But I also do not spend that kind of money on Does urine, or the latest greatest scent on the market, unless I have heard from folks that it works well and how they used it.
What I mean by Guys in the field is " not testimonials in an article" Watch any huntin' show, or read magazines and half of the these so called Pro-hunters are paid to sell the product, whether is works or not. So I prefer to hear from other average Joes like me who are not paid by sponsors or have some other vested interest in a product.
For example I found why waste my money on these so called wind indicator products, when I learned from an average joe that the best things to use are things like the seeds from Milk weed plants, or the small feathers from a down pillow. Or make your own for a 1/4 of the price with a small bottle and some Talc powder.

Point well taken, WBowhunt, and generally I'm 100% with you. I use milkweed, too -- I remove the seeds so it's more buoyant in the air currents and keep the fluff in a film canister pinned to my vest. I make my own turkey call. I'm always looking for a DIY angle to things.

I understand your view of TV hunting shows -- most of them are 5 minutes of getting ready to hunt, 5 minutes of hunting, 5 minutes of repeat footage, and 15 minutes of sponsorships. But I still don't understand what you mean. In the article, the maker of the lure is a small-time trapper and lure maker -- let's qualify him as "paid," even though he's not Wildlife Research Center or anything like that. No information was given about how to get his product, and the D&DH issue didn't even carry an advertisement for it. Another person who uses the product teams with the maker to conduct seminars. If they were at a show you were attending, would you decline attending their seminar because they stand to make a few dollars? You paid to enter the show and I think you would attend.

Everyone else mentioned in the article were real field testers who were not paid, have no financial stake, and do not in any sense market the product. In fact, their reputation is at stake. This seems to me to be the kind of testimonial most of us are looking for.

On the other hand, if you don't use scouting cameras (no small expense by themselves, and then you add SD cards and batteries!), then I can see how the article didn't speak to you.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

WBowhunt

Postby WBowhunt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:07 am

charlie 01 wrote:WBowhunt, what we used to do was tie about a 7" peice of tread somewhere near the top of our bow for checking wind direction. Seems to me that would still work. What would that cost you?

The string works, but the Milk weed seed shows air current and swirling winds as it drifts through the air, where as the string basically will show you direction.

WBowhunt

Postby WBowhunt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:23 am

Everyday Hunter,
I do understand where you are coming from. Of course I would attend the seminar, I always am open minded and willing to listen the consider every new product or idea.

I honestly do try to be trusting, especially in regards most of the articles in D&DH. I have the utmost respect for this magazine and as I have to narrow down my subscriptions, this is one I will not give up.

I have been burned before by being one to try a product ( an Expensive one ) that was supposedly endorsed by others in an article and was a small family owned business when they started, but what I got was an absolute dissappointment. I was not expecting an miracles, more just hopefully an edge or advantage and what I got was a product that did nothing, The deer that past would not react in anyway, good or bad, it was like it was not even there.
I have been bowhunting for over 25 years and learned early on there are no short cuts, no product that can ensure success, but I am always open to try new things. I also firmly believe in " You get what you pay for " and cheap is not the way to go, especially when it comes to hunting gear. All I was trying to say was that I trust comments and feedback from folks on forums like this, more than I trust what I read in Magazines. And altough I thought this product did sound promising, I personally was going to wait and see what others experiences were frist before I would invest. If this product does half of what they say, I will probably try it for myself and if so would post here my experiences for others.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:03 am

Fair enough. We've all been burned before, and all of us will probably be burned again. That includes me, and I'm from Pennsylvania where we're not like Missouri. We don't say "Show me." We say "Show me, but I'm still not going to give you any money." Here in PA, we're generally pretty cheap.

WBowhunt wrote:I have been bowhunting for over 25 years and learned early on there are no short cuts, no product that can ensure succes....

I don't think you misunderstand, but so that no one else misunderstands I'll just say this: no one claims pre-orbital gland lure is a short cut. No one claims it will insure success. But it will put bucks in front of your cameras, probably bucks that you won't otherwise see. That will be a lot of fun, and that's why we use scouting cameras. Then, as Gene Wensel said in the article, you still have to figure out how to kill them.

Steve

WBowhunt

Postby WBowhunt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Well said. I enjoy my trail camera photo. Mostly because my kids like to see all the different wildlife that is out there, so we always have a good time reviewing the photos. Here is one I found when I checked the card this morning
Attachments
July 22 023.jpg
July 22 023.jpg (69.24 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:58 pm

The thing I like about the thread is that there is no movement involved. All I have to do is just look at it, and as long as I'm out there, it's always there doing what it's suppose to do. Once I'm situated, I move none to very little. One does not always hear deer coming, and they can see better at farther distances than you think. Once while hunting in a mature forest, in a tree stand, I was slowly and cautiously rubbing a itchy nose. While doing so, I spotted this doe some 80yds. out in front of me just watching me do so. All I could see was her head. Never saw her again, and no telling what if anything was with her.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

2delattres

Postby 2delattres » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:20 pm

I read the article scarpe secrets and like what I read. Where do you find pre-orbital gland lure? I looked in Cabelas online and bass pro. the only thing I found wasbuck mbomb scrape tape. Does the pre-orbital gland lure come in a bottle? Steve I was born In Pa, Hunted in Clearfiled County. Now I'm in Michigan. Post a reply or email me at: 2delattres@comcast.net

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features