Wild dogs on property

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
freak nasty 145

Wild dogs on property

Postby freak nasty 145 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Does anyone no what to do about dogs running on hunting property?? what to do??
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Woods Walker

Re: Wild dogs on property

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Three S's.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:15 am

We had a problem with a neighbor's german shepherd mix who had a nasty habit of charging us as we walked to our tree stands. It was private property in an urban area with houses nearby. We spoke to the landowner of the property that we were hunting on which prompted him to write a letter to his neighbor letting him know the situation and that it would not be in his dog's best interest to continue the behavior. Problem was solved. Our alternative solution was a choice of pepper spray, hornet spray or a 38SP.
This dog was charging us, not just walking around the property, so I was prepared to do what was needed to keep from being bitten. However, in your case I'd try talking to the owner first to see if that might solve the situation. To allow your dog to run loose is totally irresponsible and can be deadly for their dog...I have a hard time understanding that.

3 "S's" Woods?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:24 am

I'd have a hard time shooting somebody's dog off-hand... but if i ever felt threatened it would be an easier choice. I'd try to find out who owns the dogs, contact them and explain that it's not safe for the dogs to be in the woods. If that doesn't work, call animal control. Last choice, air him out. Check first, but I'm pretty sure it's legal in most states to shoot a dog on your own property...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:06 pm

one dog had a flea collar on it. It came right under my stand and kept walking. I guess my scent control worked HA! The problem is that the land is not mine. I would hate to shoot someones dog cuz i have one. BUT if i have a hunt ruined by a dog............ sorry bout' the dogs luck.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:44 pm

Ohio farms wrote:We had a problem with a neighbor's german shepherd mix who had a nasty habit of charging us as we walked to our tree stands. It was private property in an urban area with houses nearby. We spoke to the landowner of the property that we were hunting on which prompted him to write a letter to his neighbor letting him know the situation and that it would not be in his dog's best interest to continue the behavior. Problem was solved. Our alternative solution was a choice of pepper spray, hornet spray or a 38SP.
This dog was charging us, not just walking around the property, so I was prepared to do what was needed to keep from being bitten. However, in your case I'd try talking to the owner first to see if that might solve the situation. To allow your dog to run loose is totally irresponsible and can be deadly for their dog...I have a hard time understanding that.

3 "S's" Woods?

S hoot....S hovel....S hutup It's a Wyoming thing. Started....oh, just about the time when they re-introduced the wolves back in cattle country!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:33 am

Thanks for the clarification Woods. I figured that one of the "S's" was shoot.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:42 pm

how about taking an airsoft gun or a paintball gun in with you?? If the dogs keep showing up, light 'em up as much as you can. Maybe you'll at least train them to stay out of your area...

I was kind of worried about the landowner's dog on the property I hunt. when I first started coming out he had 3 or 4 that would follow me back to the timber... They've thinned down to only 2 dogs (all on the landowner's account, not mine) and they know me enough by now that they just go lay back down when i head out to the timber...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:19 am

I thought the problem was solved, but this morning the dog was back. He was let out in his yard to do his business, but took off and ran past my stand just a first light. I could hear it's owner calling it. After about 10 calls it went home. I explained the 3 S's to my partner after the hunt.

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:18 pm

I like the 3s'' WW!! just don't tell my wife. I'll keep you updated.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features