Dan's Question of the Week: Neighbors

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Dan Schmidt

Dan's Question of the Week: Neighbors

Postby Dan Schmidt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:25 am

Everyone has them; and everyone usually has a story. Most stories are of bad encounters, but I have heard some very good ones over the years. What is yours? Was it the guy who wouldn't let you cross the line to recover your deer? Or the guy who you caught hunting in your stand? Maybe someone took your trail camera or tree stand? What is your all-time best story of dealing with a hunting neighbor? Remember, it can be of a GOOD experience. So get those keyboards humming! One story per person, please. The best one (in my opinion of course ;) will receive a free copy of the "Whitetail Behavior" DVD.

My best,
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Dan Salmon

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Neighbors

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:56 am

We get along really well with our neighbors.  We hunt Northern Wisconsin Forest land and have a couple of small tracts close together.  We usually get together on opening Sunday and coordinate drives and slow timed walking to get the deer up and moving around.  Everyone wants to shoot the big bucks that we see on the cameras, but no one is trying to do it in spite of the others.  Everyone is genuinely happy when for the other guy/girl when they get a deer.

Until I started hunting up there, I never experienced a neighbor that had heard a gun shot on a neighbor's land that got up from where he was hunting and walked over to see if he could help track/gut/drag a deer for a person; but it happens routinely now and is reciprocated by everyone in our camp and the surrounding camps. 

It ought to be really easy to start some new young hunters in the next couple of years with a group like this! 

johnson4759

Postby johnson4759 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:24 am

I grew up (and still do) hunting public land in NW MN.  One side borders a large lake and the other three sides are all private land.  There are also pockets of private land that jut into the public section of land.  There is only so much land and there are only three - four parties that hunt the public land, routinely.  The private land owners have taken to sitting the edges of the public land with large permanent stands, just yards from where we (all parties) hunt the public land.  One year, they were brazen enough to claim they shot a deer they had clearly missed and one of my fellow party members shot.  To avoid the conflict we let them have the deer, which they unfortunately never recovered.  My saving grace is in '07 I took a 150 class buck on public land, and another party that hunts the public land, took a 140 class buck that the private guys had been chasing all season.  Needless to say, when we found out we both took them, we were quite happy to hang them on the meat pole to ALL to see:)  It's sad that it has turned out that way but it really is a public land hunters vs. the private land guys up there.  Attached is a photo of the buck I took.

johnson4759

Postby johnson4759 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:24 am

Sorry for the large photo......

metrx

Postby metrx » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:45 am

My house and hunting land, unfortunately, is not where I live year round, its about 2 hours from my permanant residence.  I have some pretty funny ones over the years, as neighbors come and go...mostly from neighbors who arent hunters and from when I was young. 

One that stands out is a neighbor we called Old Lady Peterson.  She was in her 70's and lived alone.  The north of her property, an open 2-3 acre field, butted up against our south end, which was a mix of hardwoods, swamp and pines on the side of a hill.  Every morning and throughout the day, all through the firearms season, she would look out her back window and I guess could see "orange dots" in the landscape...me and my Dad hunting in the woods on the hillside.  She would come out on her back porch with pots and pans, banging them together in a fury and scream "Dont shoot my deer!  Stop shooting my deer!"  At first it used to annoy the hell out of me...but after a while, we used it to our advantage, and at times it worked in our favor.  Her rant would push the deer in our direction.  I would sit their year after year looking at her back window with my binos, waiting to see her peak her head out, and knew it was just a matter of time before the pots and pans would start banging...and action would follow shortly after. 

She passed away some years later, and someone else bought the property...he raised some cows and had a bull on the property...that's another story...

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 am

My best,

We have a permanent stand on our south line. It's all woods and a small harvest plot to the north, and a road running east to west with large open farm fields to the south, the stand is about 30 yards north of the road.

I was sitting in the stand watching a group of does and fawns and a small buck cross the large opening to the south taking there time getting to the road and crossing into our woods, when all of a sudden our neighbor came flying up in his pickup, jumped out with his rifle, and started blasting at the deer as he was braced across the hood of his pickup. I couldn't believe he was doing it right in front of me.

So, after he emptied his gun and the young buck was laying in the dirt field, the does and fawns made it to the woods, I leaned out the window and said "How's it going." The poor guy about had a heart attack, got very embarrassed, and didn't know wether to jump in his pickup and take off or stay and talk a moment. being I wasn't on the phone with the game warden he decided to stay.

When all was said and done he asked why I wasn't shooting at the deer and couldn't hardly believe I'd let deer walk, it ended pretty well because I shared with him why we don't shoot little bucks and every antlerless deer we see. 

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:06 pm

About 6 years ago we had a amish neighbor who would always sit on the line fence and look up into our draw.  We would tell our grandpa what he was doing but he said he didn't want to say anything cause he wanted to get along with his neighbors.  Well during a doe only gun hunt we heard a shot come from where he always sits so we walked over there and sure enough he is standing on our land standing over a fawn with spots.  This was mid October and he told us he was waiting for the doe but she never came through so he picked the biggest fawn of the 2 out.  Needless to say I wasn't with him and told him not to shoot anymore deer on our land that its private land and we are the only one's who can hunt it not anyone else.
Scott

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:58 pm

A few years back, it was a slow opening weekend of gun season for us.  After a very uneventful first day, my party and I did not have high hopes for the next morning.  One of my buddies, who is a much harder hunter than I am even called it quits and decided to sleep in that morning.  I got to my spot on top of a bluff and settled in against a tree to wait for daylight.  After a while I began to doze off until I heard some racket.  It wasn't what I was expecting though.  On the other side of a swamp, one of the neighbors must have accidently let his dog loose while packing up early for the weekend.  He was calling for his dog and wandering around while became frustrated and fantasized about how fun it could be if the dog came across the swamp.... Not that I would actually do anything, I just have a wild imagination.  Then my imagination thought about how cool it would be if the dog jumped up a big buck.. And that is exactly what happened.  The old buck was doubling back and had no idea that my crosshairs were zeroing in on him.  I double lunged him at about 125 yards and let out some sort of yell after he fell.  I hope the neighbor didn't hear me...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:32 am

12yrs or so ago it was the shot gun opener here and we woke to 2ft of heavy snow on the ground...All were at camp and I stayed home to hunt and watch the property...I hiked out to our south gully stand before light and could watch the fallow field that boarded us and watch the car lights on the road a 1/2 mile away...sure enough ...one of the dozens of cars coming in for the hunt stopped for a moment....just as it was getting light I see orange coming through the field ...headed for our woods...knowing he already kicked out any bedded deer when he stepped into the woods  I yelled out ..."I wouldn't do that if I were you"...Ohh how his shoulders deflated and he backed out and lft...I never saw another deer...Next day..same stand and I'll be darned if he didn't do it AGAIN..well by 10am I was disgusted and decided to just hike out to our north line to take a look ...I was on the down hill stand that ppl who owned the property before us built just 10 feet of the ground...Looking for prints I turn to see the buck in pic walking right to me when he was 30ft out he finally got his head behind a tree and looked away...I was able to grab my gun and shoot him in the heart...he was too big for me to handle... so I called a neighbor and he helped me drag him out and load into the truck...for I took him all the way to camp to show the guys

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:32 am

It was a struggle to pick one of two stories that were both actually from last year but, here it goes.

It was during the rut in early November and I was in my "killing" tree.  I had already had three different bucks cruise by and they were gradually getting bigger.  At 7:30 I heard something and looked out into the neighbors property and coming towards me through the picked cornfield was two young kids, one with a BB gun and the other with a .22 rifle.  They walked right down the logging road 30 yards in front of me and dropped a squirrel.  Neither kid had a clue I was there and I never felt in danger so I let them take their kill and walk off without talking to them.  Nothing ceases to amaze me anymore that happens on that property....everything is always legal that I have witnessed so I really cannot complain.  After all I am hunting close to the property line but, it is a REALLY good spot when there is not a minivan, kids, or a gator going down the logging road.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features