Dan's Question of the Week: Neighbors

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
pickleguy

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Neighbors

Postby pickleguy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:13 am

This happened 12 to 13 years ago. My son & I were out bow hunting his first year & he had already shot his first buck so he was only doe hunting. I was set up about 75 yds from him & I had a doe decoy out in front of me. I was on the ground & he was in a tree stand. There was a neighbor who always came around to the property that we were hunting to go into his property. He was mad that I hunted where we were & hated the fact that we shot does to put meat in the freezer. We were there for about a hour & I was snoozeing on & off when I heard a noise. I looked toward the noise & this guy was putting a sneek attack on my decoy. He got within 40 yards & I couldn't take it anymore I burst out laughing. The guy was so embarresed I thought he was going to cry.No more than 20 minutes after he left a 8 pointer came out to the decoy to small for me to shoot but he would have shot it in a heart beat. To this day he will do anything he can to ruin one of my hunts little does he know I have shot several deer that he has pushed to me thinking he is chasing them away.[:D][:D][:D][:D]
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

JFry1969

Postby JFry1969 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Back in 84 I started bowhunting with our highschool coach Mr. Wilson. I had never been deer hunting before. No one in my family hunted but none were against either. I was only 14 so the only way I had to learn was by reading F&S or Outdoor life. Mr. wilson sold me his old recurve for $30 and taught me how to shoot. I was out there every day shooting moms pie plates on big bales of hay until hunting season. Mr. Wilson would come and pick me up in his old Ford every morning before school and we would go hunting for an hour or sometimes 2. Mr. Wilson was somewhat new to the sport also, so we learned from each other.
Now mind you back in 84 deer hunting wasn't like it is today. There was no scent elimination spray or scentlock suits, you just tried to stay clean and down wind of any deer which were few around here then. So one day I read in F&S about using cover scents. Sounded like a good idea to me so I had mom run me to town and I bought a bottle of Fox urine. I thought I would try it out first before telling Mr. Wilson about it and impress him with my new found wisdom. The next morning was a Sat. and Mr. Wilson was running a little late. It was cold that morning and I was in the front yard waitin on him. I thought I would save time and put the fox urine on my boots before Mr. W showed up since he was late anyway. I put a little on and then decided if a little was good then a lot would be better. Finally, I heard the old Ford coming down the road. Wilson slid in the drive, told me to jump in, and away we went to our spot 2 miles away. Wilson had the heater on high on the floor which was next to my rubber boots which were soaked in Fox urine. It didnt take long for Wilson to discover my "wisdom" for himself! Before we got there, the windows was down and our heads were out like a couple of old hounds!
We went ahead and hunted that morning. Didnt see a thing. Still can here Wilson coughing and gagging across the woods. I never used fox urine again. Of course we didnt have to since all we had to do was turn the heater on in the old ford for a couple minutes! I never got a deer with Wilson or the old recurve but what I did get was priceless. A lifetime of memories that started with a teacher who was willing to teach outside the class room and learn along with his student. Thank You Mr. Jerry Wilson.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:30 am

Last year on the opening day of rifle season, I was about 40 feet up a pine overlooking the cutover on the back of the lease. A small 1.5 year old 8 point buck who had great potential, came out of the bigger woods and walked right to my buck lure. He was well below our club minimum, so I watched him walk into the cutover and never thought about lifting my rifle. Fifteen minutes later, I heard a shot right at the property line in the direction he'd gone, from the same spot I'd heard 8 shots from during the week of muzzleloader season the week before. I knew that little buck was history and wouldn't get any bigger. He was legal though & there was nothing I could do about it except be mad.

A few weeks later, one of the guys I hunt with was in a treestand out in the same cutover, closer to the property line when he heard shotgun blasts fairly close to him. The neighboring property had been leased by two guys and that landowner made it clear that only two people would be allowed to be hunting there period. My buddy turned in his stand to see four guys walking down the road 250 yards inside our property line to pick up the quail they'd shot. The property owner we lease from does not allow quail to be hunted on his land. My buddy looked at the group through his binoculars and saw that one of them was using the scope on his rifle as a spyglass to try to figure out what the blob was in the tree in the cutover, in other words, my buddy. My buddy realized that he was having a rifle pointed at him by some trigger-happy young guys and started hollering at them at the top of his lungs. They took off running back to their lease and my buddy got on the radio to our landowner and told him what had happened. Their landowner and our landowner met on the road where the spent shotgun shells and quail feathers were to confirm the proof that the guys from his lease were tresspassing, hunting with more people that they should have been, and had shot quail that were off-limits. I suppose they had already shot all the deer that had gotten close enough to their property boundary that now they felt the need to hunt our land.

Due to their actions, they lost their lease and there won't be as much hunting pressure along the property boundary this year.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:27 pm

I actually initially posted this on a thread last year, about 3 days after it happened.

Link: http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=59339&mpage=1&key=&#59339
Blatant Disrespect Turns Into 10 Pointer

So... today was opening day of rifle season here in Missouri. If you look back at some of my other posts, you will see my dilemma with a BMX track set up on a property I hunt. Basically, this property is teaming with deer, and has very little hunting pressure. The property is owned by my friend's father.

Well, he allowed 3 or 4 younger guys to set up a BMX track to ride their mountain bikes on. They decided to do this right where I was set up to hunt. Over the course of the past 2 months of bow season, I have been patiently waiting in the stand, only to have one of the guys come down with a leaf blower, or with a shovel and start repairing ramps. Needless to say, I wasn't seeing any deer on these days. So, I moved about 400 yards up on top of the ridge, to get a bit farther away from them.

Fast forward to last week: the BMX guys decide that they want to do some major construction on their track; build bigger jumps, etc. They ask my friend's father if next Saturday (Rifle Opener), would be a good day to do it. He is not very familiar with deer hunting seasons, but tells them that he thinks the Rifle season is coming up, and they probably shouldn't go in there, as I have priority, and it probably isnt safe for them anyhow.

A few days ago, I was at my friend's dad's house. He mentioned that they had wanted to work on their jumps. I told him that it was opening day, and he said that he had thought so. So, I wrote a letter to the BMX guys, telling them that the rifle opener is pretty much the holy grail of hunting days for the year, and that they should not be in the woods. I went further to tell them that I would be in the woods, and that after the 14th, the woods was all theirs for the rest of the year.

So, this morning rolls around and I am seeing quite a bit of activity in the woods. The morning started off with a doe running full sprint towards me, with a 4 pointer (which looked to be in velvet, though that should be impossible) chasing after her. I saw a few more does. Then, around 9:00 a.m. I hear what sounds like heavy machinery enter the woods. I think to myself "That can NOT be the BMX guys. I sent them a very respectful letter, explaining how important this day was to me, etc." Next thing I hear is the machines starting to work in the woods. Now, I can not see what is going on down there from the ridge, but I can sure hear a lot of racket. Next thing you know I hear a man screaming in an incredibly angry voice, and a large dog going nuts and barking aggresively.

About 30 seconds later here comes a doe running away from the noise, towards my position. She appears to be being chased, so I let her pass. Sure enough, 20 seconds later a 10 pointer comes rolling through the woods trailing her. Now, the brush was very thick down the ridge and I knew that I had to get him to stop in a specific spot to get a clean shot. I didn't think it would work, like it does on TV, but I tried it anyhow. I grunted twice, right when he got to the clear cut and he stopped dead in his tracks and looked my direction. BOOM, I sent my .270, 130 grain Hornady SST through him, broadside. He flapjacked right over, and didnt move an inch.

At this point I watch him for a little bit to make sure that he isn't going to get up. He doesn't move, so I get down and head towards the buck. I then call my friend Jason, who's dad owns the property, to come pick me and the deer up with the 4 wheeler. Right when he answers the phone he says "I'm sorry man, I chewed them out.." I told him that I had shot a deer and to come pick me up.

When he got down there, he explained that he had heard the engines running and had thought that it was me coming up with a 4 wheeler and a deer. When he went outside, with his gigantic German Shephard, and saw that it was one of the BMX guys, driving a bobcat, he went nuts. Yelling at them for being so disrespectful etc. Well, when Jason gets upset, the German Shephard gets REALLY upset. That is why I had heard the dog barking like that. The guy claimed that he did not get the letter until this morning, (Was  put on his door 4 days ago) and that he did not know it was deer season. He is telling my friend this WHILE he is wearing a hunter orange vest. (hahaha). Anyhow, this is my friend's property that he has allowed this 'neighbor' to use, and he flat out disrespected him. He BLATANTLY knew that I was going to be down there, and did not care. He even went on to wear an orange vest, probably so that if I shot him out of anger, there would be a better prosecution. [:D]

Anyhow, I was joking about 4 days ago with my friend about them showing up with bulldozers and what not on opening morning. I did NOT however, think that it would ACTUALLY happen. It all turned out OKAY though, as I shot my first buck ever. His rack was nothing to brag about, but it sure looks great to me. Needless to say, iIt was an experience that I will NEVER forget.

Btw: I had hunter orange on going into the woods to my stand, walking to the deer, and had it hanging over me when the picture was taken. I had simply taken it off for the picture. Not sure why, and certainly wasn't smart, or probably legal safety wise.

Jldombach

Postby Jldombach » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:27 pm

I don't have a specific expirance with neighbors, just a general observation. Where i hunt is all small tracts of private property, no tract is large enough to completely manage a deer heard. When i first started hunting all property lines were open to their neighbors. When hunters encountered one another in the woods there was no confrontation of treaspassing or anything like that. Rather it was a simple friendly talk about what we have been seeing and where we had seen it and we'd be on our way. Fast forward ten years and i am surronded by posted signs and limited to my small tract of land. The posted signs were like a cancer, as soon as one property put one up a neighbor would respond by posting theres. This is an area where i think hunting shows and trail cams i've made us more possesive of the enviroment we hunt, rather then enjoy the woods together as sportsmen we have isolated ourselves in our own little world in to lay own claim on God's creation. Don't get me wrong i believe have the right to do what they want with their own land, this is just an observation i had where i hunt.

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:03 pm

A few years back I shot a buck and he ran onto the neighbors property. 
Previous to this date, the neighbors had always been terrible to deal with.

So I called after the hunt they told me to come over in the morning.  Mind you, I live an hour from our family property and was a little upset I couldn't go at night.

Nonetheless, I went in the morning.  The husband was gone and I met with is wife.
She asked about 100 questions and then let me proceed to track.

I found the buck dead in their pond.  He was dead in about 20 inches of water...2 inches deeper than my boots.

Long story , short .... they let me use there giant John Deere tractor the get it from the pond and back to the house.

Not what I expected and a very nice surprise.  Now we get along like never before.

Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:06 pm

My uncle lives on a dead end dirt road shared by only 1 other house that aren't hunters. They have a bunch of kids they don't look after and are always coming over to look at deer we have killed, grab whatever food and soda they can and what not. They are young all between about 5 and 10. One day they went through the barn when we weren't there, looking in the fridge for candy and soda, left it open and all 6 deer we cleaned the night before went bad. more than a year's worth of venison, wasted.

Yea, neighbors...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:45 pm

i am a disabled hunter in my home state i have a permit to shoot from a standing vehicleive been hunting the great swamp national wildlfe refuge off and on for over 30 years we have seen a lot of changes when i became disabled no longer able to walk i notified the refuge and under ada they must provide access for us the first year there were 2 hunters under this program the staff biologist opened 1 gate and told us to park in an open field if we wanted to go anywhere else we would have to walk no vehicles i continued to hunt this property and he moved my parking site to a tree line 100 yards away this year he told me to park 20 yards inside the treeline i became sick and was taken to the hospital monday night the hunt started today as you can tell i was released from the hospital today i plan on going for the next 3 days until the special hunt ends my problem is this the biologist doesnot give me equal or even multiple locations to park he has in the past left 2 gates open but because i am ther only handicapped hunter the only place i can go is where he states he is like a little hisler if you know what i mean does anyone know how to get in touch with the american civil liberties union to force his hand and give access to handicapped hunters thanks hank

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:03 am

ORIGINAL: pickleguy

This happened 12 to 13 years ago. My son & I were out bow hunting his first year & he had already shot his first buck so he was only doe hunting. I was set up about 75 yds from him & I had a doe decoy out in front of me. I was on the ground & he was in a tree stand. There was a neighbor who always came around to the property that we were hunting to go into his property. He was mad that I hunted where we were & hated the fact that we shot does to put meat in the freezer. We were there for about a hour & I was snoozeing on & off when I heard a noise. I looked toward the noise & this guy was putting a sneek attack on my decoy. He got within 40 yards & I couldn't take it anymore I burst out laughing. The guy was so embarresed I thought he was going to cry.No more than 20 minutes after he left a 8 pointer came out to the decoy to small for me to shoot but he would have shot it in a heart beat. To this day he will do anything he can to ruin one of my hunts little does he know I have shot several deer that he has pushed to me thinking he is chasing them away.[:D][:D][:D][:D]

My nieghbor's immature kid, and his cronies try to foul my hunts so much that they have even ruined thier own hunting areas.  They even resorted to night poachings under a couple of my stands this year...and probly did the same last season. 

"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

willseyville

Postby willseyville » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:50 am

first bad neighbor i had of bunch of guys who have open a hunting lodge on the other side of me . one day i ran into one of my new neighbors on my side of the hill when he informed me that i shouldn't be there and i needed written permission form the owner when i told him who i was all he said is well i'll be damn but i like to remember the good neighbors i had when i was growing up we had two guys that were part of my grandfather and dad's hunting party first there was a man named mr. parker who was a great hunter and outdoorsman he was a senaca indian he taught me how to stalk deer .  the other was old harry it was my first deer season and they had put me on a drive i heard shots so i stop in just a couple of minutes a nice buck came running down the woodroad right at me so i pulled up my gun with the idea of shooting him between the eyes and he stop so there we stood looking at each other i pull the trigger down he went i started walking to him when he got up and ran away i heard a shot and old harry put him down when i got down to harry he ask me if i had hit him i said yes cause there blood where he went down when we looked the deer over all we could find was harry's slug hole after a closer look we fond my shoti had drilled him threw his left ear he offered to let me tag the buck but i couldn't cause i didn't feel it was right but for many seasons after that i had to hear the story of my almost first deer[:D] wayne

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features