Ammo

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Sailfish

Ammo

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:25 am

Was running some errands last night, stopped into Dick's to check out the Savage youth .22 they have.

Wow, talk about ammo shortage!!!
I don't buy ammo too often, but I have never seen shelves that barren.

Hope the manufacturers can keep up with the demand.
Anyone else experiencing this?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

ishman

Re: Ammo

Postby ishman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:14 am

That is also happening here in my part of Pennsylvania. The stores are limiting how many boxes you can buy because the demand is so high.
Eric

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 am

The shortage is everywhere.

If you are looking to buy ammo, try mailorder.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:50 am

A friend of mine was in the Des Moines Sheel's on a weekday afternoon when a clerk rolled out a case of. 223, then came back out with a "1 box per customer˝ sign. He said it was a near riot.

If you pass a box of your hunting ammo between now and the next season, I wouldn't pass it up.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Same thing here in Missouri.....most shelfs are pretty bare,or the most popular caliber ammo is gone before You know it and most Stores are limiting how many boxes of shells we can buy at one time!As JPH mentioned....if You see some ammo You could use in the near future don't pass it up...it may be a lot higher in price later or not available? :shock: :(

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:53 pm

One of my customers if Remington, NEF, Mossberg. They all ship out of the same warehouse. I was in there about a month ago, after the ammo shortage kicked in. They have 1000's of square feet of ammo piled from the floor to the ceiling, any caliber you can think of, yet the store shelves are empty. I don't understand why that is.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:35 pm

Same here in LA! I quit shooting at the range, because I need the ammo for hunting!

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:32 pm

The new Cabelo's here in Columbus, Ohio, is open. They sold out of many types of ammo within the first hour. I am told by someone that works there, that they put out new ammo at 8am, when they open, and by 8:30am, it is gone. they still had lots of 30-06, 12ga shotshells, and buckshot in 9 pellet and 21 pellet. but .357, .22, .223 , and most any other semiauto load was long gone. If you want any ammo in short supply from Cabelo's, you will have to be there as the doors open. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:21 am

My advice in all this is to start looking at mail order. Places like Grafs, Natchez, Midway, etc. have some ammo ( not much, but some). What they also have is back-order capability. You can put in an order for 5 boxes of such and such, and when it comes in, it ships.

I put an order to Grafs for my 2oz Federal #4 turkey loads back in January. It took over a month to ship, but eventually it showed up. Shipping was free, too. It saved endless trips up to Bass Pro, waiting for my stuff to come out on the shelves.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:28 am

Just like 2008, as soon as the 2012 election was over, the gun and ammo hysteria kicked in. For those of us who love the outdoors and hunting, the hysteria is warranted. There are just too many ways for the government to restrict guns and ammo.
When the buying binge started, Wally World had a 3 box limit nationwide, and they still sold everything they had. The local store had a few boxes of 22's and 3 boxes of 12ga. buckshot. That was it!!
I ordered some 22 mag from Sportsmans Guide and it's estimated ship date is June 3. Some of their expected shipdates are now into August and September for the popular calibers.
There is a bad rumor going around that Homeland Security bought it all up from the factories. Fact is, they bought less this year than in any of the last 4 years. But they still bought 1.3 billion rounds. BUT, that is only about 10% of what they are authorized to buy!! The truth is, we don't trust the government's backroom plans to restrict firearms. The distrust is valid!!
Last comment, I bought enough 243 and 270 in 2009 to last me for the rest of my hunting days.

Return to Guns and Ammo