Muzzleloader

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
CB on the run

RE: Muzzleloader

Postby CB on the run » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:37 am

The only information I can give you on a Traditions sidelock type gun is from a good friend of mine. He bought a Tranditions flintlock brand new from the Harrisburg,PA sportsman's show in February of 2005. He shot it less than 100 times and it recently broke for the second time and he informed me that he is no longer willing to put money into it. He is going to purchase a T/C flintlock to replace it.
I've never owned a Traditions gun but hunt with several guys who have Traditions in-lines that apparently never had any problems.
I had a Lyman sidelock, I believe it was the Deerstalker model, with a 24" barrel. The gun seemed well built, shouldered nice, was pretty accurate and when I replaced it with an in-line, sold quickly.
My advice is: go to a gun store with multiple brands of sidelocks, give each a good look, then go home and think about the pros and cons of each for a day or two. I have found that the guns that have the shortest visit in my collection are the impulse buys. Also, IMO a muzzleloader should have at least a 28" barrel to burn all the powder especially sidelocks with a #11 or musket cap ignition.

CB

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:56 pm

I have a TC Hawken in .54 that I've owned since 1984.    I love it.  It has the best feel of any of my long guns.  I used it mostly for target shooting, but I finally broke down and bought a Green Mountain 1in28"  barrel back in 2000, and it really added a lot usable range to the rifle.  I was never satisfied with it shooting Mine ball.  It was fine with round ball, but I could not find a conical bullet that would work with it.  The Green Mountain barrel got me out much further, and I found Powerbelts kept the best group.  I bought a Lee R.E.A.L. mold a while back and started casting my own pure lead conicals. If I wasn't such a centerfire rifle fan, this would be my favorite.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:17 am

What's legal in VT? Here in NY any ML rifle is legal. I shoot an in-line TC Triumph. Light weight, well balanced, 28" barrel for that slow burning powder and accurate too( 1 1/2" group @ 100 yards). The only drawback so far is the hammer spur. It's a little short while wearing gloves with a scope mounted above. Gonna take it to the gunsmith for a possible hammer extension. I started with a traditional purcussion with a 31" barrel and open sights. It was okay out to 50-60 yards but would only shoot patched round balls with it's 1:66 barrel. When to a TC encore which was too heavy for my style of still hunting. Then had a Knight Wolverine but the barrel was short so velocities were low and I didn't like that jacketed ignition system, it wasn't user friendly at all especially during the cold weather. Just so you know Knight does not produce or sell guns any longer. They offer parts and accessories for the past products only. Good luck with your purchase.

CB

NC Deer Hunter

Postby NC Deer Hunter » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:01 am

Well, if your'e not worried about the cost, I shoot a Savage Model 10 ML-II. It's 50 Cal & Stainless Steel, shoots smokless power, a 209 primer & is extreamely accurate out to 200 yards with a 40 cal sabot.
When I purchased this Rifle back in 2005 the total cost was $1,200 +. The bare Rifle was $700, Scope is a Leupold VX I 3-9 x 40, $250, you will have to buy Scales to weigh out the smokeless powder, sabots & bullets. I can't remember the type of powder im shooting but I found 42Grains in my Rifle to be the most accurate load. If you happen to decide to go this route I will be more than happy to get the numbers & brand names of the powder, bullets, sabots & primers, not that it will make a diffrence but this is a proven set up in my Rifle.

Rick3499

Postby Rick3499 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:46 am

CB on the run, and NC Deer Hunter,

Thank you very much for your replies, I will make sure to research these options and also check out what's legal in VT. I was unaware that different muzzleloaders would be illegal from state to state. I've definitely got a lot of learning and research ahead of me but your input gives me a great starting point, thank you very much.

mgemmill

Postby mgemmill » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:36 am

I shoot a T/C Encore. I have had everything from a CVA Kentucky long rifle through the new in-lines. My Encore is the best I have shot. I use 100 gr of Blackhorn 209 and a low drag 250 gr Hornady bullet. Very accurate load out to 200 yds. Scope is a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9. The other up-side to the encore is you can change barrels from shotgun to all centerfire barrels.

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:43 am

I just got into muzzleloading almost a year and half ago. I have a CVA Optima Elite and love it. It's a break open gun with interchangeable barrels. I am able to shoot a 3/4" group with my current load. CVA makes great guns at very affordable prices. If you want their top of the line check out the Apex witch is also an interchangeable barrel gun. If you want strcitly a muzzleloader, check out the Accura. I suggest shooting loose poweder as you can refine your load for the best accuracy more than you can with pellets. Its cheaper to shoot loose powder as well. Along with a gun and scope you will need a bunch of accessories; powder flask, powder measure or quick shot tubes, short starter etc. As far as powder goes, I shoot Blackhorn 209. It's expensive compared to 777, but it has many advantages; no swabbing to clean fowling between shots, lasts longer as it doesn't absorb moisture, higher velocities, non corrosive, and more. Have fun though which ever way you choose to go.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:14 pm

I agree with Marshall9779.  CVA makes a great muzzleloader that is affordable.  And they can easily keep up with the more expensive models.

berudd

Postby berudd » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:50 pm

FYI RE: the loose powder versus pellets. The indoor range that I shoot at does not want us to use loose powder unless we pre measure it before we get to the range. So, I shoot pellets. Granted, this may not be an issue for anyone else in the world but me but just wanted to toss it out there just in case.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:46 pm

ORIGINAL: NC Deer Hunter

Well, if you're not worried about the cost, I shoot a Savage Model 10 ML-II. It's 50 Cal & Stainless Steel, shoots smokeless power, a 209 primer & is extremely accurate out to 200 yards with a 40 cal sabot.
When I purchased this Rifle back in 2005 the total cost was $1,200 +. The bare Rifle was $700, Scope is a Leupold VX I 3-9 x 40, $250, you will have to buy Scales to weigh out the smokeless powder, sabots & bullets. I can't remember the type of powder im shooting but I found 42Grains in my Rifle to be the most accurate load. If you happen to decide to go this route I will be more than happy to get the numbers & brand names of the powder, bullets, sabots & primers, not that it will make a diffrence but this is a proven set up in my Rifle.

NC Deer Hunter and anyone else that has input, tell me how you like your Savage ML II. I am looking at getting one of these this year. I have a buddy that hunts with one and he swears by it. He says 5" groups at 300 yards. I'm not sure what type of powder he uses but I know it's smokeless. He has told me 63 gr. of his powder and a 250 gr. bullet. He did misfire on a big deer last year but I think the humidity had alot to do with that. I'm just curious if any of you have used them and what are the pro's and con's?

NC Deer Hunter, please reveal your load mixture so I can write it down. If I get one I would like to try several different load combos to see which one fits better. Thanks!

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo