Scopes, what's your favorite & why?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
nhdeerchaser

RE: Scopes, what's your favorite & why?

Postby nhdeerchaser » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:12 am

I love the Hawken Hunter line from T/C.

They are rugged, reliable and recoil-proof.

I have one on my BAR Browning, and my mossberg 535 tactical turkey shotgun. Anything that can handle the punishment of that beast can handle anything!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Hog hunter

Postby Hog hunter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:34 am

I also a Leupold fan. I have Leupold on 3 of my rifles I have the vx11 on my Savage 223, I have the vx111 on my Ruger#1 in 243 3.5x10x40 Boone and Crocket plex and on my Remington 700 in 280 have vx3 regular plex. My Ruger 77 mk2 has a Millets shoots good so won't change it yet

Vikinghater

Postby Vikinghater » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:53 am

I have had everything from bushnell , tasco , redfield and simmons.  currently have a Nikon pro with the BDC on a remington 700 30/06 and love it.  Can easily and ethically shoot to 300 yrd.  Thinking about putting one on the slug gun.

dewey

Postby dewey » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:57 am

I will also throw in a recommendation for a Leupold scope[:)]. LIFETIME warranty says it all. I bought a Leupold 3.5x10x40 VX-3 scope that I have been using on my 7mm WSM rifle and the scope has worked perfectly.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:31 am

I am new the the Nikon line. I put the SlugHunter on my shotgun and the Buckmaster on my 30-06. Extremely clear and Bright. I've not had them out in the field because i purchased both after season last year but IMHO dollar for dollar you can 't beat these scopes. I have tried the Tasco's, Bushnell's, Simmons and even had the B-Square retro mount and sight on my slug gun. If you do nothing other than hold one of those other brands and one of these Nikons in your hand the wieght alone sold me. These things are pretty rugged.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:36 am

Nikon & Burris have been my favorites for a long time & I never buy a scope without parallax adjustment (either turret or optical ring). I have a 6X24 on my 30-378 and a 3X9 on my 30-06. I do not use a scope when I'm in the "wood" as I find they actually slow you down as most of those shots never exceed 70 yds.

HOWEVER, you can throw them all out (if you have an extra $1,500) since I've just learned about Burris' new ELIMINATOR LASERSCOPE. Lordy, Lord, this thing does everything but load the round & pull the trigger.

Rather than trying to describe everything here, I'm just going to give you the link to the web site. CLICK HERE If I ever win the lottery I'll buy one & mount it on a new SAKO model 85 deluxe. Maybe I can make a deal with the devil ... hmmm.
[:D][:D]

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:52 pm

I really like my Leupold Scopes....they are great in low-light conditions and they are good and clear,I like the Rifleman 3 X 9 X 40mm scopes in the Matte Color and have them on several of my guns!I have a BSA on one other Deer Gun I have and it works well but doesn't pull in the light in the early mornings or late evenings when it looks cloudy when You look through it.I have an older Bushnell scope on my 30-06 for over 25 years now and it still performs great!

tcicon

Postby tcicon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:54 pm

Nikon Monarch 4x12 42mm

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:55 am

HOWEVER, you can throw them all out (if you have an extra $1,500) since I've just learned about Burris' new ELIMINATOR LASERSCOPE. Lordy, Lord, this thing does everything but load the round & pull the trigger.

That thing looks awesome!

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:59 pm

I looked at that Laserscope thingus and had two problems with it:

1)  Bullet Drop Compensation (BDC) has been around a long time.  You don't need a computer. I've got BDC on a couple of scopes.  The problem is that even with 40 pre-planned drop compensation profiles, your round may or may not fit the curve.  Been there, done it. If you're a reloader you can sort of back-engineer the round to fit one of the curves, but by then you'd have been better off going the traditional route.   If you're reaching out far enough that calculating holdover is an issue, the better way is to do it the same as snipers do it with mil-dot scopes. In essence, this is all the Burris scope is doing, only it's choosing which dot for you.  The same thing can be done with a 3X5 card taped to the stock.

2) If I sat on the back of my house and wanted to get a deer at the extreme of what I can see on my land, I'd be shooting 450 yards.  It's a long way to that pasture.  We shoot it, but it's off the bench with sandbags and spotting scopes.  My 30-06, with my normal deer load sighted in at 200 yards, has a drop of over 5 feet at that range.  Compare that to the average deer kill:  inside 80 yards, no holdover, with an improvised rest or no rest at all.  I'm not saying this scope is useless, but you would have to go out of your way to use it on a whitetail. 

Me?  I've been using Bushnell Banners for 25 years.  I've had one go bad, but it was a deer rifle that fell on concrete and it took out the rifle as well.  I could not complain.  I especially like the 1.5-4.5X.   I have one in 4-12X as well, one with BDC, and it actually does work.   However, my eyes are not what the used to be.  I looked through a Nikon last season and fell in love.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo