Wincherster Power max 130gr. 270 win.

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Julien Dupuy

Wincherster Power max 130gr. 270 win.

Postby Julien Dupuy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:45 am

Hi Don't know if anyone of you here ont his forum has tried these bullets.... but I am more than impressed with the grouping out of my Browning x-bolt .270 win. 3/8 of an inch at 100 yards with three shots.

Has anyone tried these on deer?, do they do the job?

Dan Salmon

RE: Wincherster Power max 130gr. 270 win.

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:03 am

I would guess that they will be just fine for deer.  It doesn't take much of a bullet to kill a deer.  The biggest factor is where that bullet is placed.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:34 pm

I use 100 grain Hornady Custom Bullets in my Browning A-bolt Hunter Rifle....it does great and I have downed several nice Doe's and 2 (two) 8-Point Bucks with it over the past 4 years.A 130 grain bullet in a .270 is going to be pretty fast with even that lighter weight bullet and it will knock down a Deer just fine...I bet that .270 would be very accurate out to 200 yards and beyond for that matter! [;)]

Julien Dupuy

Postby Julien Dupuy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:49 am

Thanks for the info guys,
The question was related on the bullet to be able to expand as fast as possible and to do maximum damage on the internal organs.

We have many discussions up here (Québec, Canada) when it comes to bullets beeing able to open up on time and do major damage to the vitals. Some of us have tried Winchester Vital shock, and that bullet unless it its bones, will not open up and will just go straight through without doing major damage. None of us here have tried this new Power max, but the way it's made, we all think it would do the job, just no experience with it yet.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:05 am

Not sure if its the same bullet your talking about Julien but I also shoot the Winchester "Super X" 150 grain Power-points in my Bolt-action Browning .270 WSM and it puts a good size hole in the Deer when I shoot them.....only thing is its a pretty fast bullet coming out of a .270 Winchester Short Mag.! I have heard of guys shooting their Rilfes with the Ballistic Tip shells and they expand pretty good on large Game Animals,I just don't want to hit a Deer in the shoulder with one of those and cause a lot of damage to any meat so I use the regular soft points that expand just as well in my opinion without over doing it.

Return to Guns and Ammo