Anyone use Final Finish?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
berudd

Anyone use Final Finish?

Postby berudd » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:58 pm

I just read abou the Final Finish system and wondered if anyone else has had any experiences with it.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/gunsmith ... index.html

Cabelas sells the kits for 33 buck. Of course, you have to be able to handload but my twisted mind just turned that into a reason (excuse?) to start. :)

shaman

RE: Anyone use Final Finish?

Postby shaman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:35 am

I know folks that have, and if you're trying to take a 1 MOA barrel and get it down to a 1/2 MOA it probably makes sense.  The trick is making sure that the problem is not something else and that the problem can be solved with an easier fix.   For most deer rifles and most deer hunting situations, you're probably just polishing cannonballs when it gets down to this level of polishing. However, if you're stuck with a problem rifle like the author had, it's something to try before you sell the rifle or send it out for rebarrelling.

Having said all that, I've brought a couple of barrels back from the dead with FLITZ and a lot of elbow grease, dragging a patch up and down the barrel a couple of hundred swipes. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:55 pm

Is this stuff associated with the term, firelapping? I thought Cabelas used to sell something like this years ago. When gramps was still more active in firearms I think he used to do something like this with hot lead. I believe he learned this trick during WWII? I know when I bought his Rem. 760 carbine from him he told me it was firelapped. I remember him telling me this was a penny puncher from H--L! just two darned heavy for him anymore.
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:28 am

I've not heard of the firelapping before. I've been considering cryogenics for the barrels of my 7 mag and my 30-06. I'm a foundry tooling manager. I began looking into cryogenics for foundry patterns and discovered that lots of people use the treatment on gun barrels.
http://www.diversifiedcryogenics.com/gunbarrels.html

Return to Guns and Ammo