Muzzleloading

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
MSHunter

Muzzleloading

Postby MSHunter » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:53 am

Does or has anyone on the forum fire patched round balls (.50 cal) from their "modern" in-line muzzleloader? If so, how is the accuracy?

berudd

RE: Muzzleloading

Postby berudd » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:04 am

Yeah, I have done it with a 50gr Pyrodex pellet. I did it becuase I wanted a low recoil load for my 8 yr old son. I can't make any firm accuracy comments on accuracy because he was doing most of the shooting with iron sights. I want to say he had no trouble putting them in a 2 or 3 inch circle at 50 yards. It was good enough that I felt comfortable letting him carry that load in the field for deer. Mine has a 1 in 33 twist which might be a little slower than what some of the new guns use. I have heard a patched ball will skip the rifling if the twist is too fast. I would suspect that the low powder charge we used may have minimized that affect if it does infact happen. I will say that it it is more accurate with 385gr lead bullet with two 50gr pellets.

I used to get these bullets, think they called them ballettes, from the Buffalo Bullet Company that is now defunct. They were full bore so you did not use a patch but they were barely longer than a round ball. Really more the dimensions of a .50 cal pistol bullet. I started using them back with my old sidelock and they shot great. Did well in my inline as well. The were prelubed so loading was much quicker and easier.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:38 am

I used to hunt with patched round ball, and one of my long term  goals in life is to get back to it. I have a .54 TC Hawken, and I have the original barrel that was meant for round ball as well as a Green Mountain IBC barrel for shooting conicals.  I've tried the reverse-- shooting round ball out of the 1-in-28 Green Mountain barrel, and it's not pretty.

The problem with modern inlines is they generally have too tight of a twist for patched round ball. I don't know if it's too much spin or that the patch gets ripped out of the rifling or what, but I never got good accuracy out of that combination. 40 yard accuracy was iffy at best, but then that was about how bad Maxi-balls were out of the round ball barrel.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

berudd

Postby berudd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 pm

When we did it, the patches showed no signs of being ripped by skipping the rifling. But again, it was a lighter powder load.

mgemmill

Postby mgemmill » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:39 am

i think the rifling twist is a little to agressive for patched balls. 1 in 26 is the norm, I think. The older Hawken's and CVA long rifles were 1in 48 twist.

Return to Guns and Ammo