.270 WSM ammo

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
nhdeerchaser

.270 WSM ammo

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Hey guys!

My cousin has a .270WSM Browning BLR that he has had a hard time dialing it in with federal ammo. Any ideas on what he should go with? I told him to startwith winchester ballistic silvertips in 130 grain.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

ranwin33

RE: .270 WSM ammo

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:16 am

I was going to say Federal Fusion, but it looks like that's what he may be using already.  I like it in my 300 WSM. 

Used to shoot the ballistic silvertips, but to this day I swear I had one blowup on the side of a deer I shot at very close range.  Everybody tells me I'm nuts though.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:07 am

I had silvertips out of my .308 pass through deer without expanding, like a FMJ would do.  I didn't hit much bone (lung shot) and the deer left a good blood trail, but the exit wound looked the same as the entry wound.  Since then, I've gone with the 150 gr. power point and had no trouble.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:52 am

Jim.

Is it possible that's what happened with the buck I shot last year? I was shooting a 165 grain remmington accutip, and if you remember, I did'nt find the deer.
What do you think?

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:39 am

I've only tried Winchester BST and Remington Scirocco (don't think Remington makes these in 270 WSM anymore), both group really well out of Kimber Classic, but I've only shot paper and plywood.

jsjandro

Postby jsjandro » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:02 pm

make my own, and highly reccommend it too. load my 270wsm with berger vld 140s cuz its my long shot western gun, but use it in the east too. i load my 30 06 and 270win with 150 and 140 gr barnes tsx, both drop deer like a ton o' bricks fell outta da sky on em. use bergers over barnes for wsm because of way better bc, which makes looonnngg shots work. both drop deer or any other sized critter dead on the spot. and accuracy? handloads are the best.
only if we had antler point restrictions...:(

try not to become a man of success, but a man of value.

randytew

Postby randytew » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Hey I'm new to this forum but I have read a lot in the forums about the 270 wsm lately. I am shooting a browning white gold medallion 270 wsm with a zeiss conquest on top of it and have shot several deer with it. Just a quick note on the caliber, I wouldn't have anything else. I don't understand why people don't want a caliber that shoots faster, flatter, and has more energy than just about every other caliber and it's the same price. I understand that the bullets are a little more expensive but I can justify a little extra expense when it comes to making sure that the deer ride home with me. I first started out shooting the federal premium accubond nosler partition 150 gr bullets. The first two deer I shot with those bullets were only 70-80 yards away and both deer hit the ground, kicked around for a minute, and then got up and ran off without leaving a blood trail. I did recover both deer but only by stumbling on them in the woods. I'm pretty sure I had the same problem with the bullet not expanding. The entry hole and exit hole were the same size. I swore off the ballistic tip bullets and switched to the fusion 150 gr. Those bullets did the trick. If a deer ran after getting shot it was only a few steps. Then this year I have began hearing all the talk about fusions shooting all over the place and on top of that I have to drive an hour to buy them. All of this is leading me to reload my bullets and that way I can build the bullet to the hunting I will be doing and won't have to worry about the accuracy problem.

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:52 am

When I first got my win Model 70 in 270 WSM i used the Win Ballistic Silver Tips and droped a few deer in their tracks. Then my Dad got into handloading and has been makin gup rounds using 140gr Hornady SST's and they have been working well too.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:15 pm

I have a Browning Gold Medallion in the .270 WSM and I'm shooting the Winchester 150 grain bullets with the soft points I believe?It is a very nice gun and shoots very flat,I shot a nice 9-Point Buck this past Deer Season in November.I have 2 boxes of the Winchester 130 grain ballistic tips and was thinking about selling or trading them out for some 7mm-o8 Hornady Shells in the 120-140 grains?

randytew

Postby randytew » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:31 am

GTOHunter-

Is that the Winchester CXP2 bullets. The only thing that is for sale at the stores where I'm at in a winchester is the silver ballistic tip and the elite.

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo