High-point Pistols

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Goose

High-point Pistols

Postby Goose » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:26 am

What do you guys think and have to say about High-point pistols. It would be used only as an insurance in the woods. Don't need or want anything fancy or expensive, just a 9mm that will shoot when you need it to for protection.
Thanks.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ranwin33

RE: High-point Pistols

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:02 pm

Protection from what? Just thinking you might want to reconsider the 9mm if you're wanting to make sure you're putting whatever it is you're shooting at on the ground.

As for the pistols themselves - the only thing I'd be concerned about is jamming, but trials with various ammo types should help to eliminate that issue.

Here's a nice article about them: http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_re ... nt_100605/

I've never had great luck with accuracy from an auto, but then if your using it for protection you'll probably be fairly close to what you're shooting at.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:07 pm

About 5 years ago I bought a hi-point in 40 S&W. Shot good, no problems. I dont know if they are different than they were then, but mine was all steel, so it was much heavier than most other semi autos on the market. But durable. If it jammed, you could just use it as a club and it wouldn't break. I never had jamming issues with it, but I did read a time or two that some people had those issues. I think if you keep it cleaned well, you shouldn't have a problem. My only complaint is I didn't like where the magazine release was on it. When I would slide the gun into my holster, the edge of the holster would engage the magazine release and my clip would slide out. A different holster may have fixed that, but I never tried it. I paid 200 for the gun brand new at the time, and was always happy with it. I did sell it last year because I wanted to pear down my collection. But otherwise, i never had any problems. I talked to a guy who had a 9mm. He said the barrel wore out after about 2,000 rounds, but that the company replaced it for free, no questions asked.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:52 pm

Personally, I don't own a Hi-Point pistol, but I've heard and read reviews with nothing but good things to say about them. Accordingly,they aren't flashy and they are blocky and a bit on the ugly side, but very dependable.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:12 pm

My buddy just got one and i got to shoot it at deer camp. He has put a couple hundred rounds through it without cleaning it and has had no problems. When I shot it I thought it felt extremely heavy but not in an awkward way. It actually fit the hand really nice and was smooth. I think the weight actually took some of the recoil out of it. If you run out of ammo you could throw it at someone! I would buy one but I think I would get the 40 or 45 instead of the 9.

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:29 am

Thank you, I am not big into guns so I appreciate your input!

A security blanket is probably a better way of putting it. That and just plinking around with.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Guns and Ammo