Scope mount bases for a Taurus 357 mag

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Quickdraw

Scope mount bases for a Taurus 357 mag

Postby Quickdraw » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:25 am

I have a model 608 Taurus 357 Magnum with an 8 3/8 inch barrel. I am trying to mount a scope to it for deer hunting.

So I did a bit of searching and found a mount made by Taurus for this gun. After waiting 10 days I finaly recieved it via snail mail. I went to mount it on the gun and what a piece of crap! IT FITS ABOUT AS SNUG AS A "HOT DOG IN A HALLWAY !!!!!" not to mention it appears to have been designed to fit a gun with a 4" barrel. I studied it for about an hour, trying to figure out how I could modify it or what could be done to make it work.

Has anyone gone through this and what did you do to make it work.

Is there an after market mount out there that would work better? or one from another gun that would work?

Any input would be appreciated, before I get so frustrated and trade it in on a S&W!!!

shaman

RE: Scope mount bases for a Taurus 357 mag

Postby shaman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:41 am

If I were faced with this, I'd probably take it to a gunsmith. 

I've bedded ill-fitting scope mounts with epoxy, but that was long ago with rimfire 22. The scope is still rock-solid on the rifle.   I'd not trust that procedure with a 357 magnum's recoil.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Quickdraw

RE: Scope mount bases for a Taurus 357 mag

Postby Quickdraw » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:14 am

I thought about fitting it with epoxy and like you said shaman, I am sure that would not last. I stoped at a few gun shops this weekend and I am not sure I want to put the extra money into a Taurus.

I am thinking I am going to trade the gun in on either a muzzle loader or a S&W 357 mag.

Return to Guns and Ammo