H&R 12 ga single shot rifled barrel

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Lot to Learn 2

H&R 12 ga single shot rifled barrel

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:56 pm

I have heard this is a tack driver, anyone have any bad experiences?  or does anyone use the same gun in 20ga?  Thinking real hard about picking this up. Thanks.   Also, what are you shooting through this? 

mgemmill

RE: H&R 12 ga single shot rifled barrel

Postby mgemmill » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:01 am

I own both 20 and 12, I have been slug hunting for 35 yrs and in my opinion it is the most accurate slug gun ever made bar none. My 20 ga has a 3x9 swift scope and is 1" high @ 100 yds with Remington Accu -tip 3'. I have also shot Lightfield and Hasting Lazer Accurate with great success. The Rem's just patterns a lil better. I'm not gonna lie the 12 is a lil heavy but it shoots Copper Solids and Lightfields like no ones business. I am just more into the 20 ga. Took a doe at 103 yds she ran 40 yds and piles up. I ranged the marsh path when I sat in stand. I would not be hesitant to try a 200 yd shot with a good rest. Delaware is a shot gun only state and most everybody I hunt with owns one. Hope this helps, you will not be disappointed!!![:)]

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:52 am

thanks, I was almost wanting to hear something negative, but noone I have talked to does anything but praise this gun. IL is shotgun only also. thanks for advice on sabots.  I will definitely be shooting one next year. 

mgemmill

Postby mgemmill » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:20 am

You will not be disappointed, I would give my left n%t for a IL shotgun hunt. Maybe someday.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:14 am

Lotto: I have also heard nothing but good things about these guns. VERY accurate, and for the money, they are the best bargin out there.

I was toying with getting one (like I need another shotgun!!!), and if I did, it would be the 12 gauge that's bored into a 10 gauge barrel.

Two things about these guns.....

1. You DON'T want carry them a long ways. Light they aren't.

2. From what I've heard, you need to use a VERY high quality scope on them, as because the scope is mounted right on the barrel, it takes a LOT of punishment from the recoil.

But because of that design, they are also the most accurate non-custom slug gun out there.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:50 am

Check out Savage's new 220F bolt action 20ga fully rifled slug gun. Great trigger, lightweight and balanced great. Mine doesn't have a lot of range time but I did shoot a 4 shot 2 1/2" group at just under 100 yards off the bench. You'll get 3 shots vs 1. Just a suggestion to check out before making your final decision.

CB

berudd

Postby berudd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:44 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

[size="3"][/size]
[size="3"]2. From what I've heard, you need to use a VERY high quality scope on them, as because the scope is mounted right on the barrel, it takes a LOT of punishment from the recoil.[/size]
 [size="3"][/size]

How is that any different than being mounted to the receiver of a rifle?  There is no absorption between the barrel and the receiver of a rifle.  For that matter their shouldn't be on a shotgun either.  If there is something is loose and it probably shoots like crap.  Well, unless it is a gas auto of course.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:16 am

ORIGINAL: berudd

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

2. From what I've heard, you need to use a VERY high quality scope on them, as because the scope is mounted right on the barrel, it takes a LOT of punishment from the recoil.

How is that any different than being mounted to the receiver of a rifle?  There is no absorption between the barrel and the receiver of a rifle.  For that matter their shouldn't be on a shotgun either.  If there is something is loose and it probably shoots like crap.  Well, unless it is a gas auto of course.

This is true, and I think the point is that single shot shotguns, especially 12 gauges shooting slugs, have a tremendous amount of recoil, more so than a double or a repeater. Besides, ANY shotgun that has the barrel separate from the reciever (semi-auots and pumps) is going to have less direct force on anything mounted on the barrel. Now if the gun is the H&R 12 ga. bored into the 10 ga.s barrel, then the weight might negate some of that. I had read this in a review of the H&R single shot slug guns many years ago....it may have been American Hunter....and the author stated that he tore up a couple of low-priced scopes just in his bench testing.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:50 am

on the scopes, are muzzle loader and shot gun scopes basically the same thing?   I have 2 muzzle loaders on one I have the Bushnell dusk to dawn, probably a $100 scope and the other a Cabelas Pine Ridge maybe $50 scope.  The pine ridge is okay, not near the scope as the Bushnell.  Will one of these scopes work on the H&R or do I need to step up?   My goal is to have a reliable gun, if I miss it is all me. 

mgemmill

Postby mgemmill » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:30 am

I have a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn 3x9x40on my 12 ga. I have had great sucess with that scope also.

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo