H&R 12 ga single shot rifled barrel

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Lot to Learn 2

RE: H&R 12 ga single shot rifled barrel

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:10 pm

that buschnell is a really decent scope and a great price.  I have a grudge against bass pro so I started buying everything at Cabelas.  I may need to make an exception to pick up this scope, or shop around somewhere else. 

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:54 pm

I have an NEF Ultra slug hunter with a Bushnell 4200 on it. 3 shots @ 100 if it's not under 2" it's disapointing.
It's heavy but accurate and cheap. In response to brudd. The explosion of the shell goes off right under the scope on the Ultra slug hunter, where as with pumps and semis the shell is in front.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:20 pm

Probably the single reason that a better quality scope should be used is because of the recoil factor. A 12 gauge slug generates around the same amount of recoil as the .300 WM and .338WM. That's pretty substantial recoil.

berudd

Postby berudd » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:25 am

Well, I seriously doubt that the location of the shell in the firearm as anything to do with how much force is transmitted to the scope.  At least not at the relative distatnces you would see here.  There will be no measurable decrease within the couple of inches between the chamber and the receiver.  Now, if Dan's assessment of the amount of recoil is accurate then it would make sense to equip it with a sturdy scope.

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:42 am

You no doubt want a heavy duty scope, if not it will cost you, my hunting buddy will tell you that. He had a $50 BSA on his and it didn't make it 12 shots.(#11 was at a deer) On the location of the shell issue. I read in an article by Dave Henderson,that on that gun it has the worst possible spot to mount a scope (directly over the chamber) and slug shooting is his line of expertise, so I'm taking his word on it.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

scotman

Postby scotman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:52 am

ORIGINAL: Lot to Learn 2

I have heard this is a tack driver, anyone have any bad experiences?  or does anyone use the same gun in 20ga?  Thinking real hard about picking this up. Thanks.   Also, what are you shooting through this? 

I was handed down a H&R 20 ga slug gun from my grandfather. The only problem I have is I had it leaning in a corner for the longest time. Well somehow it fell over and thread block that is welded to the barrel broke off. I have yet to get it repaired. I don't have kids so alot of my guns sit in the corner.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:13 pm

i am sold on the gun, now I just need to decide 12 or 20.  Pretty sure going with 12. Friend brought his by last night, good lord that is one heavy gun.

berudd

Postby berudd » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:28 am

You talking about these: http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp

They list the heaviest one at 8-9 lbs. That's not all that heavy; just maybe on the high side of average. Well, maybe heavy for a single shot but not for long guns in general.

Is that the one or is it something else?

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:47 am

that is it. Much heavier than any gun I have ever owned or used, which is not a lot, 870 and muzzle loaders. 

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo