Ruger M77

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Vikinghater

Ruger M77

Postby Vikinghater » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:09 am

I have a chance to buy a used Ruger M-77 of a neighbor and it has the top tang safety. Now I used to own one of these and I do remember there was a recall on these with somthing about the letter  "T" inscribed under the bolt handle and then they changed the safety all together on these rifles.  Does anyone here have the scoop on the rugers?  This rifle looks brand new and he has the first two boxes of shells he bought with the rifle , one is full , the other has 7 shells left in it!!!!  I  have talked to this guy at least once a week or every other week and I had no idea he even had rifles!!!

Vikinghater

RE: Ruger M77

Postby Vikinghater » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:53 am

Do I smell bad or somthing? nobody will answer my posts??!!

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:46 am

No bad smell that I can tell. I have a Ruger M-77 in 25-06 that I bought new about 4 years ago, but I don't happen to know anything about the recall you're talking about. All I know is my gun shoots great, so sorry to be no use!

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:29 am

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/Safet ... ts/M77.pdf

I think this is what you're looking for-- found it on the website.

Sturm, Ruger manufactured M77 bolt
action rifles from 1968 to 1991. The trigger
overtravel adjustment set screw
(shown on right) in a few of these rifles
may not be securely tightened and may
move too readily. This change in original
adjustment can, in extreme cases, either
cause the rifle to fire unexpectedly (with
the safety "off) or cause the rifle to not
fire at all. This may occur suddenly and
without warning.
Ruger M77 bolt action rifles produced
in later years have this set screw
permanently secured. These rifles have a "T" inscribed on the underside of
the bolt handle. This condition cannot occur in any of our other firearms as
their trigger mechanisms differ. Please note in particular that this condition
cannot occur in Ruger M77 Mark II bolt action rifles, which are of an entirely
different design.
For your safety, we ask that all owners of M77 rifles (except those with a
"T" underneath the bolt handle) contact us, using the coupon below.
You will receive a new locking screw that will replace your present overtravel
adjustment set screw and detailed instructions for quick, easy installation.
There is no charge for this service and replacing the screw will have
no adverse effect on trigger pull.
Do not use your M77 rifle until you have received and installed the replacement screw
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:55 am

VH-
I'm on my second Ruger 77. Both are shooters. I sold the 1st 'newer' one because I didn't like the 3 position wing safety which is why I've never owned a Winchester or Kimber.
My current 77 is custom barreled to the 280 Ackley Improved with the tang safety. I've only shot factory ammo out of it so far but it shoots. I removed my bolt and noticed a number inscribed on it. Mine started with '99' which I believe to be the year it was made. If you follow the recall the Mr. Shaman posted you should be able to get a feel if the gun falls within the recall dates. In any event it seems like a quick, easy fix for any gunsmith probably taking no more than 10 minutes. Good luck.

CB

MinneWis35

Postby MinneWis35 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Buy the gun.  Call Ruger and they will send you a part that is relatively simple to replace.  I took my two guns to that store in Lomira (back when I was living in WI) and I think they charged me $10/gun.  My two Rugers shoot pretty well (my 7mm is very accurate and my .270 is acceptable), so you should be happy with the gun.  Good luck.

mgemmill

Postby mgemmill » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:57 am

Minniewis, what are u using in your 7mm I have one and not sure where to start. Shot PMC and Winchester. Win was ok but not grt
thanks ,
Mark

tmitchell5188

Postby tmitchell5188 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:41 pm

OK, I just joined this forum and I also have a M77 in a .30/.06. Mine is a light weight version (6#'s?), and the first shot or two are good, but if I take too many shots, the barrel gets real hot and the pattern drifts. I use a Nikon scope 3x-9x 40mm.

I shoot a stock gun with no modifications. At one time I was thinking of doing the bedding to improve the accuracy, and after reading these posts, I wonder if a new trigger might help too. My biggest concern is doing all of this, and having the same problem because of the thin barrel. I bought the gun in 1987, and from what I can tell is I do have the recall because of the T under the bolt.

I know shooting a better ammo than Remington Core Loc 150's whould also help, but I think my varability is due to the barrel heating up. I also use a small bipod on sight in days.

I've taken a lot of deer with this gun, but missed 2 this year, and that's not like me.

Any thoughts?

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:31 pm

Welcome to the D&DH forums, Tom.

I don't have a Ruger, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I don't think the thin barrel is your problem. I think it's bedding. Check first to make sure all the screws are tight. You might want to take it out of the stock and look for a place where the wood is touching the steel. If the shots in your pattern are drifting in the same direction, then it's likely that there is pressure from the stock when the barrel gets hot. That can be easily corrected.

In my opinion, the first thing any rifle needs is a trigger job. You may not need a custom trigger. Seek advise from a competent gunsmith -- he may be able to polish and smooth it, and eliminate any creep. (Except sometimes I have trouble with the creep behind the buttstock. [:D] ) New guns nowadays have terrible triggers, and you won't know what accuracy your rifle is capable of when you're constantly straining against a bad trigger.

The deer you missed -- it's not likely that it was the gun if your first shot from a cold barrel is relatively accurate.

Good luck.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:05 am

ORIGINAL: tmitchell5188

OK, I just joined this forum and I also have a M77 in a .30/.06. Mine is a light weight version (6#'s?), and the first shot or two are good, but if I take too many shots, the barrel gets real hot and the pattern drifts. I use a Nikon scope 3x-9x 40mm.

I shoot a stock gun with no modifications. At one time I was thinking of doing the bedding to improve the accuracy, and after reading these posts, I wonder if a new trigger might help too. My biggest concern is doing all of this, and having the same problem because of the thin barrel. I bought the gun in 1987, and from what I can tell is I do have the recall because of the T under the bolt.

I know shooting a better ammo than Remington Core Loc 150's whould also help, but I think my varability is due to the barrel heating up. I also use a small bipod on sight in days.

I've taken a lot of deer with this gun, but missed 2 this year, and that's not like me.

Any thoughts?

If you have stringing after the first shot due to the barrel heating up you probably don't need a trigger job or a change in ammo.  What you have is a barrel that is stressing slightly as it heats.  My first guess is that the bedding is uneven and you're getting some contact with the stock.  Try and stick a dollar bill around the barrel and see if you can find the spot.  The possible easy fix for this is to put a shim under the bareel  to raise it just a wee tad off the stock.  A match book cover is usually a good starting thickness.   If this does not work, I would give it up to gunsmith and see if he can relieve the stress.

. . . or not.  Remember that this is a hunting rifle. It's telling you something important: You should be letting it cool between shots, so that each shot is off a cold barrel.  That's how it's going to be when you shoot at a deer.  If the second shot is a little off, that's usually not a problem-- it'll still be well within the kill zone if you do your part. Personally I wouldn't sweat it.  Take a book to read at the range in between shots.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo