Shotgun ammo ?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
brobbuck

Shotgun ammo ?

Postby brobbuck » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:12 am

I have hunted with my 12 gauge shotgun for about 8 years now with some success. My question is weather i should use a rifled slug or a sabot ammunition. My shotgun has a rifled barrel. I have heard both answers and didnt know if anyone could give me some input on the matter. To this point i have used rifled slugs but have honestly not shot a deer past 40yrds during the gun season. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Buy a license...Eat venison...Have a nice day!!-Ted Nugent

Everyday Hunter

RE: Shotgun ammo ?

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:35 am

Try Lightfield ammunition. They make sabot shotgun slugs. I use the reduced recoil loads -- they're supposed to work well in a barrel with a rifled choke tube. That must be true, because my first two shots went into the same hole -- it was barely elongated. The full velocity shells are intended for rifled barrels.

Check them out at www.lightfieldslugs.com There are many brands of shotgun slugs, but these are state-of-the-art, and I don't think you can go wrong with them. These are easily 100-yard shotgun loads.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

brobbuck

Postby brobbuck » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Thanks for the input EHunter. I will definitely try the ammo u suggested. I guess I'm still having a question on weather rifled slugs or sabots should be used in a fully rifled barrel. The ones u suggested are sabots so is that ur take. Sorry I've had lots of conflicting advice on the matter. I use rifled slug but my dad swears by the sabots he uses in the exact same gun. Others tell me the rifled slugs are better. I greatly appreciate the advice tho EHunter.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:16 pm

I'm shooting a Remington 870, which is set up for spring gobblers. I put a 1½-4X Leupold scope on it and got a rifled choke tube because I wanted to use it for deer in New York (in a shotgun-only county.) So, I don't have any experience with rifled slugs in a fully rifled barrel. The deer I shot a week ago with this set-up was the only deer I've ever fired at with a shotgun slug.

However, recently on the D&DH forums, someone mentioned that the only problem with rifled slugs in a rifled barrel is perhaps more leading in the barrel. You don't have anything to lose trying Lightfield slugs. Why not buy a box of 5 and do a comparison?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

brobbuck

Postby brobbuck » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks for the advise steve. I will definitely give them a try.

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:59 pm

It is my understanding that the basic rule of thumb is to use a sabot slug for fully rifled barrels and use a rifled slug for a smooth barrel. I think you will find that following that advice will give you more consistency in your shots.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:38 pm

brobuck,
I agree with the last post from Ifishandhunt. I hunt with an 870 Remington Wingmaster smooth barrell with open sights and my gun is dead on with slugs. My father shoots an 1100 with riflings and shoots sabots. His gun shoots better with the sabots than slugs.
My only concern with the sabots is that occasionally they'll tumble and while i'm not a physicist, this has got to have an impact on accuracy once you get past a certain distance. The sabots also don't seem to have as much knock down (shock) as the slugs. Both of us are avid bow hunters and if one of us has success during bow season, we like to tag along with the other during shotgun season. I've seen deer shot with the sabots and I've seen a larger percentage of deer act uninjured when they've actually suffered a fatal double lung shot. They act more as if they've been shot with an arrow than a gun. Typically with the slug, they drop straight down from apparently from the slug deforming.
My recommendation is to find a sabot that is made from a softer material, so the projectile deforms upon impact. This may increase the shock factor and eliminate the deer from running around the bank to another hunter, especially if your hunting on land that has other hunters.
Best of luck.

brobbuck

Postby brobbuck » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:38 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I tried some sabots and rifled slugs and seemed to group better with the sabots. Havent had an opportunity to test them against a deer yet unfortunately but I'll be hitting it hard the next few days to try and change that before the end of shotgun season. Thanks Again!

B3N1706

Postby B3N1706 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:27 pm

Sounds like you have already or are about to make your decision, but I'll throw my opinion in anyway.  I have a remington 870 express 12 gauge smooth bore and a mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel. The remington w/ the smooth bore will group almost well enough for a lethal shot out to 75. That is using rifled slugs. The mossberg 500 w/ a rifled barrel will shot a 3 inch group out to 200 yards. Its not even a comparison. I use Hornday SST sabots for my mossberg. The difference is rifled slugs have rifled grooves around the outside to give the bullet its own spin by air being forced through the grooves. These are made for smooth bores. The sabots are designed to expand and follow the grooves of riflings. Sabots are designed for rifled barrels. You won't hurt things putting them in the wrong barrels except maybe really foul up your rifled barrel and get terrible groupings. Anyway sorry for rambling but that should help.

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:24 am

Like the last post, I have to agree. If you try the Hornady SSTs you'll be impressed for sure. Someday when the opportunity presents itself for that 200yd shot these little beautys will get it done!
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

Return to Guns and Ammo