Shooting slugs through a removable choke

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Quickdraw

Shooting slugs through a removable choke

Postby Quickdraw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:41 pm

I bought my son a Mossberg 500 for Christmas (I hope I did not offend anyone, by saying Christmas, NOT!). But I was wondering if any one has any experince shoting slugs through a removable choke?  I am told that would be fine with an "Improved" choke tube.  Thoughts?  Experince?  Recomendations? I can not afford the rifled slug barrel this year but wanted someting for him to learn with.   

Merry Christmas All !

Everyday Hunter

RE: Shooting slugs through a removable choke

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:18 pm

I have a Remington 870 Turkey Gun (the one with the Shur-Shot stock). I took the turkey choke out, screwed in a rifled choke tube, and got good accuracy with Lightfield reduced recoil slugs. I see no reason to use anything more powerful than that at normal shotgun ranges. Lightfield recommends them for barrels with choke tubes.

Steve

P.S. Merry Christmas!
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:15 am

ORIGINAL: Quickdraw

I bought my son a Mossberg 500 for Christmas (I hope I did not offend anyone, by saying Christmas, NOT!). But I was wondering if any one has any experince shoting slugs through a removable choke?  I am told that would be fine with an "Improved" choke tube.  Thoughts?  Experince?  Recomendations? I can not afford the rifled slug barrel this year but wanted someting for him to learn with.   

Merry Christmas All !

A Cylinder or Improved Cylinder will be just fine.  You may get 50 yards maybe 80-- you'll have to test it and see. A rifled choke tube will get you further, but what you've got now with an I/C choke is basically what I started with and it killed deer just fine.  If you put a super-full choke on it, it'll probably make a decent turkey gun too--mine is a 500.

Give us some more info on the 500?  Gauge?  Etc.?   Is it D&T'd for a scope?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:28 am

The more 'open' the choke the better at Mr. Shamna advises.
Try the Federal Truballs. The are one of the best Foster designs currently on the market but do not work for everyone. I would also try Brennekes hybrid. If you get a rifled barrel consider not getting a cantilever but having the receiver drilled and tapped. It believe it enhances accuracy. Good luck!

CB

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:03 am

Thanks for all the input, please keep it coming. I never even thought about a rifled choke tube!

The Mossberg 500 that I bought him was used fired a couple of times and like new shape, it is the Turkey gun with camo finish it has a 24 inch barrel and it is drilled and taped for a scope. Thats all in know about it.

I plan on having him participate in the IL. youth gun deer season next year.

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:59 am

I shoot federal truballs through a smooth barrel 12 gauge.  I practice at 50 yards and would be ok out to 70 or maybe 80.  I emailed federal and they recommended a modified choke with those loads.

berudd

Postby berudd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:33 pm

did you know that they make a rifled slug barrel for that gun with fiber optic sights included?

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:36 am

Yes, I am aware of the rifled barrels available (cost is the issue right now). A barrel is almost as expensive as the gun I bought. A choke tube on the other hand is around $ 25 dollars.

I wanted a low cost, duel purpose gun for a 13 year old to learn with, bird hunting and deer. I started with a Winchester model 120 and learned alot at that age. I still use it for birds, but for deer I use an Itica deer slayer II Feather light with a 4 power scope.

I wanted him to go through the learning curb I went through. And do his own research on what gun or barrel, sights vs scope he wanted to graduate into. And appreciate the skills he picks up on the way.

Return to Guns and Ammo