ENCORE PISTOL

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
encore50

ENCORE PISTOL

Postby encore50 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:09 am

ANYONE HAVE ENCORE PISTOLS AND HOW DO THEY SHOOT AND HANDLE. LOOKING AT 270 OR 460.

fasteddie

RE: ENCORE PISTOL

Postby fasteddie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:47 am

My oldest son has an Encore Pistol in 308 cal . It isn't much fun to shoot . The Encore pistol has a large handgrip and is difficult for someone like myself with small hands to shoot !
Semper Fi !

encore50

Postby encore50 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:40 pm

IWOULD LIKE TO FIND SOMEONE IN MID MICHIGAN WHO HAS ONE AND WOULD LET ME TRY IT OUT AT RANGE.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:47 am

If it were me, I'd be somewhat leery of shooting a rifle cartridge like 270 WIN out of a short pistol barrel.  Mind you, I've done it.  It works. It's safe.  It's just that you have all that powder to burn and such a short barrel to burn it in.  The results I've had to date were that you end up with a lot of muzzle flash, and nothing to show for it in the way of velocity.  In the dim light of early morning and late afternoon, that flash becomes blinding, as burning powder spews out of the barrel. Of course, once it's out of the barrel, that powder is contributing nothing to the downrange performance of the bullet.  It also makes for a sizeable blast.  One of the reasons I don't hunt with a pistol is that it forces me to wear muffs, and that detracts from my hunting experience. I like to hear what's coming.

My advice is that if you're not reloading and can cook a load using fast-burning  powder, to stay away from high-capacity rifle cases and pistols.  Having said that, I've seen good things out of a Contender in 30-30 WIN using factory loads, but there is considerably less powder in a 30-30 than in a 30-06 sized case like a 270 WIN.  If you're into .277 as a bullet choice, go with the 7-30 Waters.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

George

Postby George » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:41 pm

I have 2: 44 mag for Delaware (must be straight wall ammo) and 30-06 for PA. The 30-06 is more fun to shoot. I have had great luck with the remington reduced-recoil loads. Hope this helps.

Return to Guns and Ammo