copper solid slugs

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
mgemmill

copper solid slugs

Postby mgemmill » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Bought a box of copper solids today from Wal Mart. Shot one 2 " high, next one snap ,dud, next one snap, dud both primers dented. Tried a Lightfield boom, grabbed another cs and it shot as did the last one in box. Wal mart will not back up there ammo, so I e-mailed Remington and i am waiting for a reply . Anyone have this happen to them ????

paulie

RE: copper solid slugs

Postby paulie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:06 pm

I've put (at least) a dozen boxes of them (copper solids) through my 870 and, I have never had a problem with em! I am very interested to hear how they (Remington) responds to the issue.

Vikinghater

Postby Vikinghater » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:30 pm

Had a hornady SST go snap in my gun at the range this year.  First one ever.

mgemmill

Postby mgemmill » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Took the 2 dud shells over to the gun shop tonite. Put a straight edge across the base of the 2 shells and found them to be concave. U could actually see light where the primer is located. The firing pin could not strike the primer hard enough to make the shell fire. Waiting for Remington to e mail me back.

mgemmill

Postby mgemmill » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:13 pm

Got a letter and a Fed Ex slip to send bad shells back. Waiting for a reply!!!

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:39 pm

I had two Winchester XP3's do that last year. the primers went off and lodged to slug in the barrel, twice.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:08 am

I have never had trouble with them but a friend did years ago. I have a few as back-up because they basically shoot the same as the Winchester Partition Golds which are my slug of choice these past few years. I go through slugs pretty slowly as I treestand hunt and shoot only standing deer in high percentage scenarios regardless of range. We can't eat more than two anyway.

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:16 am

Last week, as I was sighting in my slug gun I had a remmington solid copper that did not fire. there was a dent in the primer. The shells are at least one year old. (I know I should not have done this) but because they are so expensive I re-chambered that round and it fired properly.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:14 am

ORIGINAL: mgemmill

Took the 2 dud shells over to the gun shop tonite. Put a straight edge across the base of the 2 shells and found them to be concave. U could actually see light where the primer is located. The firing pin could not strike the primer hard enough to make the shell fire. Waiting for Remington to e mail me back.

Did you compare this to other shells? In my experience as a handloader, the primers must be seated below the face of the base of the shell. A primer has to be seated at the bottom of the primer pocket -- otherwise it will move when the firing pin impacts it, which will reduce the force of the firing pin.

I don't think that's your problem. I suppose there could be several causes for what you experienced. Let us know what the good folks at Remington say.

ORIGINAL: Quickdraw

Last week, as I was sighting in my slug gun I had a remmington solid copper that did not fire. there was a dent in the primer. The shells are at least one year old. (I know I should not have done this) but because they are so expensive I re-chambered that round and it fired properly.

I don't think there is any danger in doing this. In fact, if the primer wasn't seated completely, the force of the first impact of the firing pin might move the primer to the bottom of the primer pocket, and the second impact will fire it. Just be sure your gun is pointed in a safe direction. And (it should be needless to say), don't try firing at a deer this way because the shell is likely to fail the second time, too.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:41 am

Does anyone know why some slug shells are duds and some aren't?  Is it the gun or the shell?  I've had it happen quite a few times before, but not consistently with any one slug type.  I only shoot hornady sst's in my Remington 870 Magnum, and have never had any problems with that, but have shot a variety of slugs through my Smith and Wesson smoothbore. Mostly shoot Federals through them, but have used others when I have ran out of those slugs while hunting or shooting different types on the range.
QDM!

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo