Reloading 44 rem mag ammo for handgun hunting

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
wack

Reloading 44 rem mag ammo for handgun hunting

Postby wack » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:52 pm

I've got a Ruger New model Super Blackhawk hunter with 7" barrel and a relative who's willing to custom load ammo for me. I use it for deer hunting, both with open sights, and I may scope this gun, but I bought it as a side arm for my first bear hunt coming up in 2013. I want to buy the bullets, brass, primers and powder and come up with 1 round that's consistently accurate and is built to take both deer and bear from 50 yards in, maybe out to 100 yards for deer if I scope the gun.. Primers and powder I'm not too worried about, brass either, but I'd like input and advice on what bullet to choose for deer and bear? Is there 1 that does well on both, or do I need to customize both, and sight in every time I change from deer hunting to bear hunting? Right now I've got some of his ammo and it's full lead hollow point hot loads, junk he had laying around. Good for close quarters home defense and making a lot of noise at the range. I want to put the best bullet in it's place, and see how they group, He can then tune the charge to the gun. I want to be sure it will stop a bear, don't care if it blows threw a deer, the deer will die without threatening my life. If I'm bear hunting and have a wounded bear to deal with, it's because I shot it with my bow and something went wrong. I also have to consider wolves as a possible threat/target when field dressing deer. For you custom loaders, what bullet/s are my best choice? I want to figure out the perfect round and have 1000 rounds made. If I need 2 different rounds, then I need 2000 rounds made,and I may just scope it for deer and open sights for bear? I've got time, and options. but need some advice now. Thanks
American by birth, hunter by choice.

shaman

Re: Reloading 44 rem mag ammo for handgun hunting

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:46 am

I haven't worked with my Blackhawk in about 10 years, but the Hornady XTP 24 Grainers over H110 seemed to be the standard hunting load back then.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

wack

Postby wack » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks. I've searched the web for info and the 240gr XTP bullet seems to be the choice of many. The Hornady tech suggested the 240 and 300 XTP and by looking at the charts 240 gr is faster and has more energy up until about 75 yards where the 300 gr hits harder from 75 yards to 100. I think my best choice is the 240 XTP as I like to get close and take shots I can't miss. If I ever hunt in grizzly territory, hunt for elk or moose, then I'll load up some 300gr .
American by birth, hunter by choice.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:32 am

One word of advice: If you use H110 in a pistol, everyone at the range will know it. It has excessive flash and blast. I used plugs and muffs together and it still made my ears ring.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to Guns and Ammo