new to deer hunting

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
jefflldo

RE: new to deer hunting

Postby jefflldo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:04 am

It's the 12 ga. remmington. I was told the 12 ga. sluggers worked quite well in the smooth bore out to 50 yds, and I wasn't really planning on trying to reach much further than that anyhow. I've heard enough stories about trying to find that deer that decided to run for a mile after a lousy shot so I'm not too anxious to get that buck first time out. If I don't get a deer, there's alway squirrell and rabit, it just takes more of them.

rem700

Postby rem700 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:15 am

jeff did not think that way. i good shot will drop a deer. i good shot a deer will run. a bad shot a deer will run. a bad shot a deer will drop. alot can happen.
Robert

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:58 am

The only problem with your setup is that you are limiting yourself to a max range of 50 yards. If you have a rifled barrel, you will have a longer range, and if a deer steps out at 70 yards or so, you don't have to pass up the shot, or start to second guess yardage.
I'm not advocating taking longer shots than you are comfortable taking, I'm just saying that if you feel confident at 100 yards, you are gonna feel the same at 50.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:15 am

ORIGINAL: jefflldo

Hi all,
new to the forum and have been meaning to get out deer hunting for the last few years but just haven't been able to. I'm in Ohio and as a result am not able to use a rifle. My question is this. Would I be better off using a Remington 870 with a smooth bore IC 30" barrel or my 357 6" barrel and a 158gr jhp? I don't plan on anything more than 50 to 75 yard shots and it doesn't need to be a big buck either. The wife and kids have no desire to see a new hat rack in the house.

Thanks

SquirrelHawker (post #3) gives you the straight & narrow.

You've got to totally put using a .357 for hunting out of your mind. The .357 was designed to be a ferocious service weapon, in part to allow cops to shoot thru car doors. It was never intended, nor should it be used to shoot at objects more than 25 yards away.

As an example, the .44 mag has more energy (punch) at 300 yards than a .357 does at 50 yards. I carry a .44 mag while hunting & would never dream of shooting at a deer beyond 30 yards.

Yes, I know someone heard that someone, somewhere, some time ago, killed a deer with a .25 acp ... hooey ... but even if it ever happened ... you want to go out & hunt deer, for food or trophy ... not to wound deer that will take 3-5 days to die of infection. Stick with a serious hunting weapon.

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:10 pm

It amazes me how many states have minimal firearms requirements, or token or nominal standards at best. In NYS the only prohibition is rim fire ammo.

So I guess my aunt Millie's choice of a 1957 Buick Roadmaster is acceptable!
[:D]
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo