New to slug barrels

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
DCstudent

New to slug barrels

Postby DCstudent » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:59 am

I have a 20 gauge mossberg 500 that i want to use for deer season this year. Is a smooth bore adequate for shots 100 yards or less? Or do I need to buy a rifled barrel? Also, what brand of slug do you recommend? Thanks.

Bigcarpy50

RE: New to slug barrels

Postby Bigcarpy50 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:09 am

hey, you can't go wrong with the rem Sluggers. my whole family uses them . I have a 12 ga 870 but my brother has a 20ga and he shoots with a bird barrel and has made some incredible shots. The sluggers are cheap and a good way to start out.

DCstudent

Postby DCstudent » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 am

Thanks. Is a full choke smooth bore barrel ok for shooting slugs?

mgemmill

Postby mgemmill » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:26 am

I would not recomend using a full choke for slugs. its constriction is too tight. If the gun has screw in chokes improved cylinder is where i would start. Foster type slugs is where i would start, Rem Sluggers ,Federal slugs , even Breneke. I have shot a lot of deer with a ic and breneke slugs. 50 ys max. You can also pick up a rifled slug barrel for that gun relatively cheap. That would be my suggestion. then you will get the 100-150 range with the newer slugs out there ie: Rem. Accu tips, Federal Barnes expander, Lightfields etc. You can get a barrel decent scope bases and rings for $200-250. Check gunbroker .com, cabelas, bass pro, or even your local gun shop is a good place to start. [:)]

Return to Guns and Ammo