Sighting in question

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
bubbas1

Sighting in question

Postby bubbas1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:06 pm

The wife wanted to sight in her gun this weekend. Problem is she went to the doc yesterday and had to have her gallbladder removed tonight so she wont be able to get to the range this weekend. Next sat is opening gun weekend.
If I took her gun in and sighted it, would it be the same for her when shooting? I know everyone holds there gun just a little bit different so I wonder if it would be off if I did it for her. But the other part of me says it shouldnt matter because your just aligning up the scope with the gun barrel so no matter who shoots it, it should shoot true once sighted in.

Dan Salmon

RE: Sighting in question

Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:11 pm

I would think you'd be fine doing it for her.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:40 pm

I sighted in my son's rifle and then turned him loose. He shot the gun well.
If you are sighting in off a rest, then I don't think you will have a problem!
Good luck to you both!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:16 am

There is going to be some difference.  It will be due to the way you hold your eye to the scope versus hers.  The difference won't be that great-- it won't put the point of aim off the paper-- but there will be a change.

My advice is to do exactly as you are doing, but make sure she has a chance to zero the rifle herself after the start of season.   Before then, have her use discretion in making longer shots.   If you sight in at 100 yards, she should be good out to at least 50 in a worst case.  The closer your eye position matches hers will determine how much better it is. 

I frequently work with KYHillChick's  "Voice of God."  She likes to shoot milk jugs at 400 yards-- she said the Lord told her to do it.  I don't argue.  It's a 30-06 bolt gun. We'll take turns shaking it out before she goes for the distance shots.  She may be grouping at 4 O'Clock 4 inches off the bull, I may be at 10 O'Clock  2 inches off the bull.

This is similar to what happens when your rifle and ammo don't arrive in the same spot, or the ammo is left behind on the counter at home.  You go to the store and you're shooting Remington 150'sand all they have is Winchester 180's.  It's going to be close. You probably can go out and hunt opening morning without sighting in.  Distance?  That's between you and your conscience, but I'd think inside 50 yards you'd have a deer. 

Final note:
For all the derision we heap on guys who have their new rifles bore-sighted the night before season, there actually is some logic to it.  If you bore sight a rifle, chances are you're at least on the paper at 20 yards.  That's why we bore sight them.  As long as a hunter doesn't take but a 40 yard shot, then probably he's going to get a deer with that rifle.  The problem comes from trying to extend that out to 200 yards offhand, and doubling the problem by doing it with a 30-30.  (see my recent discussion of the Maysville Walmart) 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rem700

Postby rem700 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:26 am

i wounld have it say shaman is right on...........
Robert

bubbas1

Postby bubbas1 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:19 am

Thanks for the responses. The good thing is we will be up north wednesday so she should be able to get out to do a final sight in before opening day. I will still take her gun in this weekend just in case of the outside chance she dosent feel up to going out before opening day.

Very good info shaman.

bubbas1

Postby bubbas1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Headed out to the range to sight in the guns yestersday and the wife was in tow. She wanted to sight in her own gun before we left for up north. She was still hurting some but made it thru like a trooper.
Just gotta love a woman that loves to hunt.[:D]

Return to Guns and Ammo