BAR ammo

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
nhdeerchaser

BAR ammo

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:12 am

Hey everyone!

I am trying to find a less expensive alternative to hornaday interlock SST ammo for my BAR .30-06.
I would like to use a corelok type bullet, and was wondering if anyone out there with a BAR has any off the shelf ammo that works.
On a side note, I have an option to get some custom handloads. This handloader can load my bullets that I use now for the fraction of the cost of the hornaday off the shelf stuff. What do you guys think?

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

shaman

RE: BAR ammo

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:34 am

If it were me, I get hold of some RCBS small-base  30-06 dies and have at it.  I'm a big proponent of reloading.

If you're going to do it yourself, a 165 gr Rem Corelokt or Hornady Interlok SP is just fine for deer.  The important thing is that you get them loaded  so they shoot accurately.  I'd also start at around the published minimum and see how accurately they shot with a moderate powder like H4895.  Deer are not that hard to kill and as I remember you're shooting at fairly close ranges.  There's no sense cranking the load up close to the MAX if you're going to do most of your shooting inside 100 yards.  At these slightly -reduced velocities, you can end up with a very accurate load with moderate recoil, but they'll still cycle the BAR's action.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:33 am

Whether you or your friend reloads the shells make sure small base dies are used as Mr. Shaman said or your going to have problems chambering a round. I had problems loading for my Rem 760 pump using standard dies. Bolt actions are a totally different animal. You'll probably gain some degree of accuracy once you find a load. Good luck!

CB

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:45 pm

ORIGINAL: nhdeerchaser

Hey everyone!

I am trying to find a less expensive alternative to hornaday interlock SST ammo for my BAR .30-06.
I would like to use a corelok type bullet, and was wondering if anyone out there with a BAR has any off the shelf ammo that works.
On a side note, I have an option to get some custom handloads. This handloader can load my bullets that I use now for the fraction of the cost of the hornaday off the shelf stuff. What do you guys think?

Mike

I use a BAR 30-06 too. Matter of fact, you'll see a photo of mine about 5 posts below your photo. I prefer bonze points but my BAR doesn't seem to have trouble shooting anything.

The answer to your question is quite simply: MidwayUSA.com. I buy ammo for all my rifles, pistols & shotguns from them because they have the best prices & have very good cust/svc. I should be getting paid for this advertisement!

Of course we all have a small problem these days which started the day Obama took office & practically all the ammo in the country was immediately sucked off the shelves leaving shortages & higher prices everywhere, including MidwayUSA.

However, you can still buy Rem. Core-Lokts from Midway from between $18 to $22.00. Midway has the largest selection of ammo in the country, however, lately a lot of their ammo is out of stock & has to be back-ordered.

Hand loading is a lot of fun ... but ... to do it right with all the equipment it takes to do it right will wind up costing you much more unless you're doing a hellava lot of shooting. If you're just using ammo for hunting ... forget hand loading.

MI Hunter

Postby MI Hunter » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:38 am

You don't need expensive ammo to shoot deer.  An SP from Win, Rem or Fed will do a great job, try a few different types and see what shoots well for you.  I've loaded for quite a few years and it is enjoyable, but I also have a lot of money invested into it.  You can start with a kit that is relatively inexpensive such as the Lee Anniversery Kit which has what you need to start except dies and components and it costs around $100.  But you tend to add stuff over time and it adds up.  Can you justify it with the amount you shoot or hunt?  You have to also keep in mind you have to develop a load for your rifle, you can't just load up and expect 1 MOA groups. The problem starting right now is it's very difficult to get primers unless you jump on Gunbroker and pay outrageous prices for them.  Midway is a great place that carries a lot of stuff, but there are others with comparable prices such as Natchez Shooters Supply.  Graf & Sons is another and though they are a little higher, I believe the shipping is included in the price.  

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:00 am

By best friend has a BAR that shoots the 180gr. Rem Core-Lokt's every bit as accurate as a bolt gun. I say give a try to each of the major ammunition manufactureer's entry level centerfire ammuntion and you should find one that your BAR likes.

Once you find the load that your BAR likes, wait until the fall hunting sales and rebates come out and buy up alot of that particular type of ammo. I did this last fall and probably have a life time supply of ammunition for my .30-06 and .30-30. The best part about it was I had $100 in gift certificates from the previous Christmas and ended up with about $150 worth of ammunition without spending any money out of pocket.

Mlong84

Postby Mlong84 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:51 pm

I have a BAR in .270 Winchester. It absolutely loves 150 gr Core-Lokts and Federal Fusions but I prefer the core-lokts due to the ease of finding them locally.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:11 am

core-lokts due to the ease of finding them locally.

+1
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:13 am

ORIGINAL: Dan Salmon

Once you find the load that your BAR likes, wait until the fall hunting sales and rebates come out and buy up alot of that particular type of ammo. I did this last fall and probably have a life time supply of ammunition for my .30-06 and .30-30. The best part about it was I had $100 in gift certificates from the previous Christmas and ended up with about $150 worth of ammunition without spending any money out of pocket.

Oooh ... $150 worth of free ammo ... that's the true meaning of Christmas ... [:D][:D]

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:24 am

ORIGINAL: nhdeerchaser

Hey everyone!

Mike

Handloading? I don't know. Frankly, I don't think you can beat those Multi-million dollar machines that Remington, Federal & Winchester use. I always buy Remington & don't have to worry about running out cause I always stock up on anything I know I'm going to need sooner or later.

I have a BAR & it loves Remington judging by the grouping I get on the bench. The very next gun off the assembly line might do better with another brand, but that's a new topic.

I like Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point for closer ranges but Bronze Points if I'm planning on 2-300 yard ranges. If I'm not off, I'll cut <1" shots with the 150 gr Bronze pts.
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

Return to Guns and Ammo