muzzleloader question

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
8uck5nort

RE: Muzzleloader question

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:15 am

Not really sure. I usually leave the breech plug in after cleaning just for the kinda thing you mention. Nothing ruins a hunt faster than not having your weapon complete and in working order.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:49 am

You should probably consider fouling your barrel before you go hunting . This is best done before you go to your hunting spot . Find some place you can fire one shot a day or two before you go hunting and dont clean your gun afterwards . You can run a dry cleaning patch down the barrel but no cleaning solvents , oils , or bore butters . The purpose of fouling the barrel is to make sure that none of the oils , solvents , or butters are left in the barrel for your powder to soak up . If any of these are in the barrel when you load your gun to go hunting your powder can soak them up . This can cause your gun to miss fire or it could cause a long delay betwen the time the primer goes off and when the gun goes off . In the end you could end up wounding an animal or injuring yourself . If you foul your barrel before going hunting you shouldnt be able to forget your breach plug .  GOOD LUCK
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:46 am

Welcome timer!

After I shoot my front stuffer, I tear it down, completely clean it, making sure it is completely dry, then I reassemble,
season the barrel with bore butter, and leave it unloaded till opening day. Never had a misfire occur, and I know she's ready to shoot.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:11 am

I can see why, on a conventional ML barrel, you probably would not want to leave the plug out for very long. However, I can't think of a reason it would hurt of the new contemporary inlines.  The threads on an old fashioned barrel are cut to go together and stay put.  These new plugs are meant to be removed after every shooting session.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

timer

Postby timer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:11 am

I appreciate the replies.

I've only fired the gun three times - I'm planning on taking it out for target practice again this weekend - if it isn't raining too hard...

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Should not hurt to leave it out , just dont forget to put it back in. There is no way threads can shrink on barrels.

timer

Postby timer » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:25 am

One more question....

I noticed this weekend that the tool that TC included for removing the breech-plug only fits about 1/16 of an inch over the bolt on the breech-plug. Is that normal?

Lot to Learn 2

muzzleloader question

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:03 pm

Have a new muzzle loader this year, going to shoot this weekend. I was going to treat the barrel with butter bore before I take it out, any suggestions on what I should be doing? 
this is my second muzzleloader, the 1st was a CVA kodiak, I have killed several deer with it, the only reason I replaced is it very difficult to even load a second round without really cleaing between shots. I did get the made for muzzleloader primers this time, I just used the Winchester 209 before and I think that had a lot to do with this, but not sure. I have thoroughly cleaned the 1st gun and is very hard to clean where the bullet seats.

Anyway, appreciate any advice on if I need to do anything special before shooting, thanks.

bowhuntingbiker

RE: muzzleloader question

Postby bowhuntingbiker » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:52 pm

When I use it I just run it down the barrel with a swab and start shooting. I do notice a huge difference when cleaning after using it. Also, loading is easier. Good luck. BHB

Lot to Learn 2

RE: muzzleloader question

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:41 am

Thanks BHB, I read something about fouling the barrel but I can't find where I read it and honestly I don't understand what that does. 

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo