muzzleloader question

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
mgemmill

RE: muzzleloader question

Postby mgemmill » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:41 am

Have you tried Blackhorn 209 powder ?? I was using 777 and found Bh 209 to group better, clean easier ,and you can shoot all day. I also use Hornady SST ML 250 gr. bullets with the red sabot. My buddy shot 50 rounds through his encore without a swab in the barrel. It's a lil pricey I think i paid 34.00 a can. It's not as easy as pellets but u save on cleaning time !!! I also use Bore Butter ans haven't seen any difference ?

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:47 pm

thanks, I will check that out. I use pyrodex.  There are about 7 of us that shoot before season few weekends in a row. We all pretty much use the same set up, I am the only one having the issue. gun shoots fine but you have to clean after every shot. I had 2 late season tags last year, last day. shot a doe, tried to reload, I never did get the bullet seated all the way down, I was standing up, straining to get it set, I look up and another doe is looking at me from 20 yds.  So had to eat one tag. I ended up getting a CVA Optima, I think. I know I should know the name. It is not the top of the line, I am thinking that is Encore for CVA but should be good gun. Just got a pine ridge scope in the mail, so hoping to get it all put together and be shooting in the morning. 

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:05 pm

After I shoot my muzzleloader, I brush out the barrel, dry wipe it, then put a patch with bore butter on it to ease the loading of the next bullet.
The only time I don't do any prep between shots is in the field.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:04 am

From what I have heard, there is no need to use bore butter in modern inlines unless you are shooting sabotless conicals that need to be lubed.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:24 am

Mine's a first generation T/C Scout. I have to lube the barrel. Works alot better loading my hornaday sabots.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:49 am

Pyrodex is the 'dirtier' of the modern blackpowder substitutes. Triple 7, Blackhorn, Black Magic and Shockey's Gold all shoot cleaner but with some there is a trade off in velocity.
I currently shoot Triple 7 3f loose powder as it produces good groups and high velocities but after several shots loading becomes harder. I have read good things about Blackhorn and Black Magic but have not tried either. I do not like the Shockey stuff.
Also watch your plastic sabots if you buy them seperately from the projectiles as they are made in different internal dimensions for different size rounds such as .44 vs .45 caliber. If you put a 45 cal round in a sabot made for a 44 cal it will be very hard to seat.
I take a couple dozen pre-moistened patches and dry patches to the range and swab every other shot.. Good luck.

CB

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo