Favorite deer cartridge

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
nhdeerchaser

Favorite deer cartridge

Postby nhdeerchaser » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:46 pm

Which of these cartridges do you think are the best for deer?
My favorite is the .30-06 due to all the different loads you can choose from.
If you don't see your favorite here, throw it up and tell me why!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Fishinfred

RE: Favorite deer cartridge

Postby Fishinfred » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:53 pm

Id say the 30-30 for deer has killed more deer than any but I handgun hunt during firearms season and love my 44 mag
Here in Missouri  its usually up close and personal with many brush shots
I will admit the 30-06 has more versaltilityy but still not my personal choice

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:17 am

Of the bunch listed, 30-06, but that list is not nearly long enough.  You left off 308 WIN, that's become one of the tops over the years.  In fact, although I tout 300 Savage a lot, my 300 Savage is actually a 308 WIN downloaded slightly to 300 Savage levels. 

There's going to be a bunch of others.  I've seen some 35 REM mavens here, some 358 WIN and some 7mm08.  Heck, the one group I correspond elsewhere with would include as favorites: (no particular order)

1)  257 Roberts
2)  223 Rem
3)  6.5X55 Swede
4) 280 Rem
5) 25-06
6)  45-70

. . . and those are the just the ones that I know would get multiple votes.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rem700

Postby rem700 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:33 am

hands down 308win, i think its the best all round, it will take anything i will shoot  at.
Robert

Vikinghater

Postby Vikinghater » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:43 am

I would say the .308 but heres my story on that.  I started hunting in the early eighties and my very first deer gun was a hand me down 94 lever 30/30.  After my first season , my dad bought me a ruger 77 in .308 topped with a 2-7x tasco for christmass.  Over the winter spring and summer I shot the rifle alot and became very good with it.  The rifle just felt right and became almost second nature to me. 

Now , being a snot nosed teenager I thought I needed to have what my friends all had and they all had pumps and autoloaders.  So I go get a 742 woodsmaster in .280 rem and put the 308 on the rack. My dad used the ruger off and on after that and eventually "took over" that rifle and still uses it every year.  I bought and sold and traded rifles since then and eventually realized dad was right and I should have stuck with the 308.  My current rifle is a rem 700 bdl in /06 and I can do ok with it but still not as good as I could shoot that old 77 ruger.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:13 am

I'd have to go with the 30-06 given the many different loads you can get for it and the fact that it isn't going to tear you up with it's kick.

But my personal favorite is my 300 WSM since it's the only one I have and it's served me well.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:15 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

Of the bunch listed, 30-06, but that list is not nearly long enough.  You left off 308 WIN, that's become one of the tops over the years.  In fact, although I tout 300 Savage a lot, my 300 Savage is actually a 308 WIN downloaded slightly to 300 Savage levels. 

There's going to be a bunch of others.  I've seen some 35 REM mavens here, some 358 WIN and some 7mm08.  Heck, the one group I correspond elsewhere with would include as favorites: (no particular order)

1)  257 Roberts
2)  223 Rem
3)  6.5X55 Swede
4) 280 Rem
5) 25-06
6)  45-70

You are spot on with the ommision of the .308 Shaman! I can't believe I forgot that one! You would've thought I would've remembered the 7mm-08, since I'm looking to that as my next deer cartridge! Thanks for pointing out some AWSOME cartridges!

Mike

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:57 am

ORIGINAL: nhdeerchaser

ORIGINAL: shaman

1)  257 Roberts
2)  223 Rem
3)  6.5X55 Swede
4) 280 Rem
5) 25-06
6)  45-70

You are spot on with the ommision of the .308 Shaman! I can't believe I forgot that one! You would've thought I would've remembered the 7mm-08, since I'm looking to that as my next deer cartridge! Thanks for pointing out some AWSOME cartridges!

Mike

Yep, a short list. But as short as it is, I'm surprised "Other" doesn't have more votes.

Me? I like the 7mm-08. It's a short action, there is a wide variety of 7mm bullets for handloading, brass is plentiful (you can easily resize brass from a .308), it comes in light rifles, it has mild recoil, and it surpasses the .308 (and other .30 calibers) in downrange energy. 

But Mike, having decided that will be your next deer cartridge, I'm sure you already know all that.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:52 pm

You are right Steve, I really, really want a 7mm-08! My good friends father had a .308 BLR, but got sick of the recoil. So he bought a T/C encore in 7mm-08 and he loved it for all the reasons you just described!
My quandry is that I need to upgrade my T/C scout. I want to get a T/C triumph, but our rifle season is longer than muzzleloader, so a new deer rifle would make more sense. I need a better alternative to my BAR in rain and snow conditions, which is the same problem I have with the Scout muzzleloader.
Decisions, decisions!

Mike

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:56 am

Mike

Oh, you want awesome?  I haven't even started yet on awesome.

Try 7X56 Mauser, 8mm Mauser, or  how about 8mm-06?    The latter comes from the aftermath of WWII.  8 mm Mauser makes a great deer cartridge, and GI's in the European Theatre were picking up Mausers all over the place as trophies.  The problem was that after they got them back to the states, there was no ammunition, so folks started having the chamber reamed out to 30-06, and left the barrel at 8 mm.  It's ends up being a half-way compromise between a 30-06 and a 35 Whelen. 

I'm somewhat partial to the 7.62X54R , like what you find in those $70 Mosin Nagant rifles.  The cartridge is an oddball-- sort of like a rimmed 308 WIN.  However, I've been able to load it like a 30-06/308 or a 300 Savage or a 30-30 WIN  and made nice deer rifles. Some use .308 bullets, but some have slightly larger bores and you need .311 bullets made for the .303 Brit

Speaking of which, anyone who gets a straight shooting .303 British Enfield has a great deer rifle.

There really are not any really BAD deer cartridges.  I know a guy who shoots 7mm Rem Mag and swears by it.  He's taken elk and deer with it, and I'd be the last to call his baby ugly.  The only problem I see is that he ends up taking everything at about 50 yards or so-- even when he gets out West.  At that distance a 30-30 will knock over an elk.   Is the 7mm Rem Mag  a good choice?   He thinks it is.

The only really BAD cartridges out there are
a)  The ones that have generate too much recoil for the shooter
b)  The ammo is too expensive for the shooter-- or to hard to obtain
c)  The ballistics are too anemic for the shooter's willingness to shoot at a given distance.

These are all dependent on the shooter. One guy is dreaming of trip to Africa and wants to be familiar with his 375 H&H.  Another guy likes 7.62X39, because he has an endless supply of cheap ammo.

a&b) effects how often the shooter practices, and that is a key factor. a) causes flinch and that creates an accuracy problem. b) will be decisive in a binary sort of way-- at some point the shooter says to heck with it and buys another rifle.  Try and find a reliable supply of 7.5 Swiss-- great deer round by the way.

If you are actually willing to put in the practice for c) to be an issue, then you probably won't make this mistake.  The problem is when some guy goes out and buys a 308 WIN, makes three shots at 100 yards and thinks he's good to go out to 300 yards because the chart on the box says he can.  He then misjudges and tries a 450 yard shot. The bullet goes into the dirt between the buck's legs, and the shooter cries "bullet failure" and buys a 300 Rem Mag.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo