Ballistic tip bullets

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
MI Hunter

RE: Ballistic tip bullets

Postby MI Hunter » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Did you shoot through brush and hit a twig?  Years ago, the BT's were erratic, some reported they blew up, others they worked fine.  Nosler thickened the jacket on them and they should be fine now.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:51 pm

I've said this countless times: I'm old enough to remember when the Corelokt was considered a premium bullet.  The whitetail deer has not changed-- only the marketing.

The KY ML opener starts in less than 12 hours.  380 grains of homebrew cast pure lead does the trick just fine.

Night y'all. I'm hitting the rack.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

MI Hunter

Postby MI Hunter » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:02 am

The Core Lokt is a great deer bullet.  With all the super bullets today, I still believe the best deer bullets are cup and core.  I've used them in various SP's for a long time and they've always did a great job.  

Mac

Postby Mac » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:15 pm

I use winchester ballistic silvertip in my 30.06 and I've never had a problem. I shot a doe 2 years ago that was quartering away and the impact actually de-gutted her. It was pretty crazy. It wasn't a gut shot, they were still intact. They just came flying out of the softball size intry hole! I don't think I've ever had a complete pass thru with them and I've never ever had to walk more than 10 steps from where the deer was shot!!! I usually see hoofs in the air when I pull the trigger! Not exaggerating! I recomend them in a heart beat!
Quote: "Real men hunt with fly swatters!" - me... lol

Mlong84

Postby Mlong84 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:40 pm

I use the 165 gr Hornady SST's in my .30-06 when I can get them at the local gunshop. Killed a couple deer with them. MASSIVE damage to both the entry and exit side of the deer. I also used the 139 gr SST in my 7mm-08 same result massive damage and dead deer at the end of a short blood trail.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:31 pm

I guess I can't blame the bullet, huh guys?
I will stick with what has been working for me, and use the hornadays. They are accurate as hell, and if I can get the job done on my part, the bullet and rifle should finish the job.
Thanks for all the imput everyone! I appriciate it!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

B3N1706

Postby B3N1706 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:19 am

Hey I've had a lot of luck with fusion (made by federal) and exit wounds. They blow holes out of the sides of deer. No joke it's almost disgusting. The last doe I got with my .300 win mag in fusion, and only a 150 gr. at that, had a 2-3 inch hole and guts hanging out of it. Every deer I have got with them has had just massive exit wounds. I'm not particularly fond of federal, it's just what I've experienced with it.

rem700

Postby rem700 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:34 am

to much gun of deer.. elk ok
Robert

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo