30-06 for short range shots?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
mightyfofaad

RE: 30-06 for short range shots?

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:27 pm

ORIGINAL: shadow

Most of my shots in the woods are under 50 yards. They are usually bow range shots 15-40 yards nothing really any farther. I presently split my gun hunting time between my Remington 7400, and my Remington 870, using slugs. A couple years ago I lost a deer that I shot with the same gun. I was in my climber on opening day of rifle season, two nice does came through, and one offered me a nice 30 yard shot. I don't know if the shot was rushed or what but after finding her in the crosshairs I pulled the trigger and she also went right down. After 30 seconds or so she was getting to her feet so I then quickly put another shot into her, she slowly got up and ran off.
I gave her an hour, shooting her twice with a rifle I felt thats all that was needed, I was wrong. I went over to trail her and there was good blood at the shot sight as well as a slight blood trail which I followed for about 20 yards then I saw her, she also saw me. She jumped up and quickly ran off! I then gave her about 3 hours and searched every inch of my property as well as the surrounding property.. along a small river, a couple of ponds etc...for the rest of that day and the next. I never found her.
So can it be the distance?

I read your post 3 times looking for something I thought I must have missed, because the incident you describe stupefies me. There just isn't such a thing as a 30-06 being too close to kill, even, if you were using FMJ cartridges.[/align] [/align]I think you must consider your shot may have been deflected by a branch (or similar) & your shot never hit anything serious ... or that doe was from the planet Krypton.[/align] [/align]If you were using a scope, you may not have been able to see the deflection. Depending on the power of the scope, a branch very close to you can be almost invisible to you, especially if you were making a quick shot.[/align] [/align]If you're making very close shots & you're worried about them just passing thru ... you might consider an off the shelf 125 grain soft point.  Weird things happen to all of us, this isn't anywhere near typical.  Put it out of your mind.[/align]

eagle eye

Postby eagle eye » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:47 pm

I use a 165 grain core-lokt  30.06 round and have never had a problem with expansion at a close range. this year I have taken two deer with that gun (4050yards and 75 yards) and in both cases the exit hole was over an inch in diameter. I have take many deer in bow range with this gun and it has performed well in these conditions.
I think the key to hunting with any firearm is shot placement, if you take out the scapula you are not going to have any troubles recovering that animal, no matter the round or the distance.
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:37 pm

ORIGINAL: eagle eye

I use a 165 grain core-lokt  30.06 round and have never had a problem with expansion at a close range. this year I have taken two deer with that gun (4050yards and 75 yards) and in both cases the exit hole was over an inch in diameter. I have take many deer in bow range with this gun and it has performed well in these conditions.
I think the key to hunting with any firearm is shot placement, if you take out the scapula you are not going to have any troubles recovering that animal, no matter the round or the distance.

Not bad ... 4050 yards is about 2 1/3 miles ... how high did you have to hold over that deer? [:D][:D]

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:12 pm

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

[size="2"]Not bad ... 4050 yards is about 2 1/3 miles ... how high did you have to hold over that deer?[/size] [:D][:D]

Great shot! Especially offhand! With iron sights! [:D][:D]

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

eagle eye

Postby eagle eye » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:22 pm

should have been 40 - 50  YARDS
tough crowd
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:23 pm

Shoot them in the scapula and you'll never have a problem. Puts em right on the ground. Dan Schmidt did an article on that a year or two ago.
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo