Why do so many of us always want a new rifle?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
GTOHunter

RE: Why do so many of us always want a new rifle?

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:12 pm

Well CullBuck...thursday I went to a local Widlife Supply Dealer a few miles down the road and out in the Country to order my new Rifle.Ended up getting the Savage 11GCNS 7mm-08 in the Hunters Series,Bolt-action with the Accu-trigger in a walnut stock and blued barrel,talked about putting a Leupold Rifleman 3X9X40mm in matte color with Millet scope rings and bases.When it gets here I'll try and post a few pictures...if it doesn't work maybe someone will post them if I send it via e-mail to them? [:D] [;)]

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:53 am

Mighty, I like your style.[:D]

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:38 am

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

.Ended up getting the Savage 11GCNS 7mm-08 in the Hunters Series,Bolt-action with the Accu-trigger in a walnut stock and blued barrel...When it gets here I'll try and post a few pictures...if it doesn't work maybe someone will post them if I send it via e-mail to them? [:D] [;)]

Happy to post the photos for you [;)]

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:53 am

Mightyfofaad...that guns older than I am...? [8|] ROTFLMAO [:D] [;)]

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:44 am

I try and get a new one or new to me each season.

I started building myself custom rifles (purely for a hobby in the off season) and try to get one done for each deer season. I completed my second one about a month ago. It is a custom bolt action built around a Carcano that was rebarreled in 357 mag. Last year was M95 Styer straight pull bolt action rebarreled in 44 mag. I have two more on the drawing board for 2011 and 2012 that will be .357 max built around another Carcano bolt action and the 2012 may be a .45 Winchwster mag built around M98 mauser bolt action. Have not made up my mind with the later yet as the Indiana rifle laws may change next year and allow us to use a longer shell which will open more calibers. Just in case anyone is wondering In Indiana we could not use riflesm until 2007. It was shotgun and muzzelloader only. We are still very restricted in the calibers and cartridges we can use. Pistol only. You have to really go to a true wildcat round to get a true rifle cartridge like 358 gremlin which is built around the Rusian 7.62x39 case.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:26 am

[:)]

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:58 pm

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

[:)]

Congratulations Mighty, she's a keeper.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:45 am

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

Cullbuck....you make one heck of a Salesman! Man,I think You have really helped me make my mind up on getting a 7mm-08 now....Thank You! [;)] [:D]

The Savage I'm looking at getting is the wood stock Rifle in a bolt-action,I checked out the "Managed Recoil" shells from Remington and they are still in 140 grain just a lighter load of powder I guess?I would think they would drop down to a 125 or 130 grain bullet like the Remington managed recoil 30-06 shells I have for my other Rifle?...still I like the idea of a gun with less recoil and still shoots a decent size grain of bullet to knock a Deer down!Hopefully I can post a picture or 2 on here if I get that Rifle?

All a 7mm/08 is, is a necked-down .308 from .30 caliber to 7mm (.264 diameter). either caliber will lay a deer out with a well-placed shot. I have been hunting with a .308 for knocking on 30 years and have killed truckloads of deer with it using hand-loads or store bought. My best hunting buddy uses a 7mm/08 for deer around here and a 7mm Magnum on sheep, mulies, & elk out west. There are plenty of loads for any of the above mentioned calibers and you can reload to whatever suits your taste.

.30-'06 is the most versitile caliber and is capable of taking any big game on this continent. I own one of those too and seldom use it. What you're comfortable with is what matters most. Anytime I shoulder my .308 it is like shaking hands with an old friend. I know where it shoots and any misses are my fault.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Good one Mightyfofaad...that picture is GREAT!!!! [:)] [:)] [:)] [:D]

Well I finally got my Savage 7mm-08,the guy at our local Hardware Store runs the Service/Gun Dept and he mounted the bases,millet scope rings and my Leupold scope for me today.Hopefully I can get a few pictures posted or sent out for someone to link up for me?

Cut N Run....I like the idea of the 7mm-08 cause its different and new...! [;)] I was thinking about getting the Remington "Managed Recoil" shells,they are 140 grain like the regular Remington 7mm-08 shells...do You think it would matter much on the recoil between the 2 different shells? 

Oh yeah...I found a new arrowhead when we planted the food plots in September,guess I need to take a few pictures of it too to post? [&:] 

cullbuck

Postby cullbuck » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:48 am

I don't think managed recoil is needed for the 7mm-08. I shot it a few times this week along with my 270, and the 7mm-08 has markedly less recoil IMO.

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo