Ethical?I think NOT!!!!!!!!

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
nhdeerchaser

Ethical?I think NOT!!!!!!!!

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:41 am

All right boys and girls,

I was having a discussion with some friends of mine, and the subject of a .243 for bear hunting was brought up. I emphatically(sp?) disagree, even at archery ranges.
I know this is not a black bear forum, but in the context of ethics in hunting, I brought it up. I would not use such a caliber on bear, due to the chance of bullet fragmentation, vs. actual mushrooming and leathal damage caused. Too many variables if the shot is'nt perfect.
No pun intended, bear are a different animal than deer.

What do you all think? Am I right?

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Vikinghater

RE: Ethical?I think NOT!!!!!!!!

Postby Vikinghater » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:52 am

My uncle does alot of bear hunting and a .308 is the "bear" minimum as he always says.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:07 am

ORIGINAL: Vikinghater

My uncle does alot of bear hunting and a .308 is the "bear" minimum as he always says.

Vikinghater,

I think he's right. We have all heard stories of kids dropping deer with .22's. I just think when you go after a big dangerous animal, pack some serious heat.

Mike

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:44 am

I don't hunt bear, but I would think that the bigger is better when it comes to bear.  I think that would be a little small IMO!
QDM!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:28 am

308 for the min?! yikes thats what Im using for my bear...lol makes me feel real safe now :-/
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

willseyville

Postby willseyville » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:26 am

never shot a bear . we had our first bear season last fall being i use a 20 guage shot gun to hunt with and use 3 inch shells i feel if i would keep my shots 50 yards and under i have enough gun but i agree a 243 is way to small for hunting bears [:)] wayne

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:58 pm

ORIGINAL: nhdeerchaser

All right boys and girls,

I was having a discussion with some friends of mine, and the subject of a .243 for bear hunting was brought up...I know this is not a black bear forum, but in the context of ethics in hunting, I brought it up. I would not use such a caliber on bear, due to the chance of bullet fragmentation, vs. actual mushrooming and leathal damage caused. Too many variables if the shot is'nt perfect...What do you all think? Am I right?

Mike

I sure hope you're talking about Black bear & not GRIZZ. A .243 on Blacks is really being under-gunned ... a .243 on GRIZZ is suicidal.[:-]

A .30 cal. cartridge is "bear" minimum. At short range you can use a 300 Savage or 35 Remington, but a .308 or .30-06 are better choices. I like the .30-06 because right off the shelf you can buy cartridges suitable for Coyote (55 gr) up to Elk (220 gr). You won't find a more "useful" cartridge.

WILLSEYVILLE: never shot a bear . we had our first bear season last fall being i use a 20 guage shot gun to hunt with and use 3 inch shells i feel if i would keep my shots 50 yards and under i have enough gun but i agree a 243 is way to small for hunting bears wayne

Yikes I sure hope you're using SLUGS in that 20 gauge! No offence ... but if you're gonna start plugging bears ... you really ought to think about stepping up to a 12 gauge ... and of course ... we're talking black bears here.[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:01 am

A .270 might work, but my opinion is that anything under a .30 caliber bullet and you are pi$$ing in the wind. 100% agree that .308 is the minimum for black bears. .30-06 is better.  It doesn't make sense to be undergunned for something that could possibly take you out if the initial shot was not as good as it needed to be.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:27 pm

I agree!

The last thing I would want to do is to go into the woods after a wounded black bear at dusk only packing a .243!

Mike

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:26 pm

ORIGINAL: nhdeerchaser

I agree!

The last thing I would want to do is to go into the woods after a wounded black bear at dusk only packing a .243!

Mike

Yes ... which is all the more reason to carry a back-up weapon ... my new first choice back up weapon after reading the Thread: Should Woman Be Jailed for Killing Fawn?
is a long handled shovel.

That way, if things go bad, you can always cold cock that bear with your shovel. [:D][:D]

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo