Anyone hunt with a Seni-Auto shotgun?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
glenhunter

Anyone hunt with a Seni-Auto shotgun?

Postby glenhunter » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:50 pm

Just kind of throwing this out there.... do any of you have or do hunt deer (or other animals) with a semi auto shotgun? If so, what gauge? Thanks

gh

shaman

Re: Anyone hunt with a Seni-Auto shotgun?

Postby shaman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:22 am

I have frequently hunted over the years with a 12 GA Remington 1100 with a smoothbore IC barrel and rifle sights. At one point, I would have described it as my go-to deer gun. After years of hunting Kentucky, which allows all manner of centerfire rifles, I am still impressed with its capabilities at close range.

Inside 50 yards, there is nothing better for knocking a deer over.

30-some years ago, I bought a few packs of Remington Sluggers and kept them in a 4" group at 50 yards. I figured that was enough and never looked back.

Here's a couple of articles:

What is my "goto" gun for Deer?

My GoTo Deer Rifle– a redux
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:53 am

That's a beautiful 1100 that you have there Shaman. Great wood on it.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Ohio farms wrote:That's a beautiful 1100 that you have there Shaman. Great wood on it.

You don't know how much it pleases me to read that. That 1100 has a long gnarly history. I bought it used in the early 80's. It's an 1100 TB trap gun originally. I was having trouble with the stock whalloping me in cheek weld, and so I went to work on it over a few years to try and make it hurt less. The other problem was that there had been an ill-fitting adjustable butt pad on it, put on by the original owner. I took that off shortly after I got the gun, but I always had to have a big rubber spacer on the back to make up for the inch or more the previous owner had sawed off the stock.

I kept getting bruised cheek. Finally in exasperation, I took a belt sander to the stock and ground out a groove for my face that fit perfectly. However, it was a real Bubba job, and people used to laugh at it. In those days it was my one-and-only shotgun-- deer, turkey, trap, skeet, and it got a lot of work. Finally, I diversified my collection enough and put the ugly thing aside.

About 12 years ago, I found a stock and fore-end at a swap meet for a pittance. I took it home and applied 20-some years of experience to the wood. By that time I had learned about drop and cast and stock length and that sort of thing. I got the stock all set up the way I wanted, and then spent a year or so layering on thinned polyurethane until it looked close to factory.

That pic has an odd margin crossing the fore-end. That really isn't there. It's just I was shooting outside that day and between the shots of the front half and the back half, the sun came out. I didn't notice it until the stitched the two frames together.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to Guns and Ammo