Keeping it dry.....

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
nhdeerchaser

Keeping it dry.....

Postby nhdeerchaser » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:08 am

Hey everyone!

I shoot a T/C scout, and just curious as to the best way to be able to keep it dry when I'm out hunting in the rain.

Just curious if anyone has any tricks up their sleeves.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

nhdeerchaser

RE: Keeping it dry.....

Postby nhdeerchaser » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:03 am

I guess I'm the only knucklehead that has a problem keeping my caps dry in the rain!

Mike

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:15 pm

Sorry, I was in transit down to deer camp. 

The old timers put a piece of leather over the cap and kept it on a thong tied to the rifle. 

I normally hunt with a hunter orange poncho, and ponchos are great for these situations.  I just keep the lock tucked under the poncho and only bring it out when I'm ready to fire.  I've had days where I hunted in gully washers.  Eventually the humidity kills the cap, but even though the poncho is not waterproof it keeps it dry enough to present fire even after a toad strangler.  I change my caps out at least twice a day now rain or no rain.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:41 pm

I don't own a muzzleloader, so I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but I have heard of people putting a balloon over the barrel.  That way if they walk with the muzzle pointing up, no rain will fall inside.  Not sure if that will help you or not.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:10 pm

Hunt4fun has point, and if anyone has ever seen the movie "The Big Red One" you know about the trick with the condom.  I have it from a good friend who went in on D-Day +14 and went through The Bulge:  Condoms do not work.  They actually collect moisture.

Tip:  For centerfire and ML hunting in the rain or snow, put a piece of electrical tape over the barrel.  It keeps moisture out, and comes off immediately on ignition. On my "Rain Gun",  my 7600, I keep a wrap or two of electrical tape handy for the season.   The same can be done for smokepoles.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:30 pm

Buy a new inline. I'm doing that next year, of course this is about the 10th year I've said that.
I use a plastic bag and a rubberband, Cut a hole in the bottom of the bag slide it down over the breech area.
Put the rubberband on the bag where the cut is to hold it in place. Slide your hand inside the bag when you need to cock it.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks for the answers!
ZEEK, you are right, I need to get a new inline!
I have been looking at the T/C triumph, and I think that's the direction I'm gonna head in.

Mike

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:04 am

Black electrical tape works fine over the end of the barrel. I wrap a second piece around the barrel to replaced the first in case I shoot. Most of the on-line stores will have a leather thong that goes over your hammer and has 2 strings that tie to your trigger guard. Your spray it with a repellent. It's somethimes referred to as a 'calfs knee'.

I purchased the TC Triumph this summer and so far I like it a lot. It's very well balanced for a muzzleloader as they can be barrel heavy. I mounted a 1.5X5 Bushnell on top as it was laying on one of my shelves. The gun is better than this scope and if you buy one go with at least a 2X7 or a 3X9. Good luck.

CB

Return to Guns and Ammo