New to Scope Shotguns

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
grunt_doc

New to Scope Shotguns

Postby grunt_doc » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:48 am

I've been lurking for quite a while here, but finally decided to post.  I'm never really been a scope shooter.  I much prefer iron sights.  My origional slug gun was an old A5 16 ga.  still have it and still love it, but it was time to modernize.  I have a Stoeger M2000 that I love that came with a rifled barrel.  No sights, just a rail for a scope.  I just topped it with a Nikkon prostaff shotgun scope.  I've zeroed in optics before, but as I was reading up on it online, the advice was to thump/tap the scope after the adjustments each time.  I never heard of doing that before.  Anyone care to shed some light on it?  Thanks

CB on the run

RE: New to Scope Shotguns

Postby CB on the run » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:31 am

I miss my Browning A5 sweet 16. It was rather used when I bought it but helped me harvest close to 20 deer. Too bad Federal Tru-balls didn't come in 16 ga.
I have sighted in many scopes and routinely practice the tap method. It is suppose to 'seat' the crosshairs on your latest adjustment. Is it real or myth? Your guess is as good as mine. To me it cannot hurt to tap the adjustment knob after changing the setting.
Is your Stoeger M2000 drilled and tapped on top of the receiver? It's the only way to go IMO. Cantilevers move, believe me which will lead to a lot of fustration and expended hulls.
I shot my Savage 220F bolt action 20ga slug gun Saturday. I shot an honest 3" group(4 shots) at 96 measured(rangefinder) yards in the rain. I think it will do better with some TLC. Good luck!

CB

rem700

Postby rem700 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:44 am

A scope as a scope inside it, you did not move the crosshaire, by tapping the scope on the adjustment knod it will help seat the little scope inside. that move. i have fond if you do not tap the scope the recoil will on our frist shoot and the next shoot will be off. that is why you shoot 3time for a groud to sight in a scope.   
Robert

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:02 am

figured on that...just never heard of it before.  It's not a tap mount.  Cantilever off the barrel.  it seats the scope a bit hight, so I'll just rig a cheek pad to get a good weld. 

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:41 am

That Nikon has over 3.5 inches of eye relief, so you should be ok. Make sure that you always have the gun stock seated on your shoulder and your cheek locked down or you might smack that scope right between your eyes.  Trust me...it hurts. I'm sure you will like the switch to a scoped gun.

eagle eye

Postby eagle eye » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:42 pm

you are right on here you are making micro adjustments on a scope and the tapping just insures that the cross hairs are seated. I have never had success when i did not tap the scope after seating it
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

Return to Guns and Ammo