muzzleloaders

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Washburn

RE: Muzzleloaders

Postby Washburn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:30 am

Lots of choices. Do you want a traditional barrel stuffer shooting powder and ball, or a more modern in-line muzzleloader that uses pellets and sabots?
The newer in-line offerings (like the Thompson Center 50 caliber I shoot) are more like a centerfire deer rifle than what you normally associate with a muzzleloader.
I suggest you do some online searches...D & DH publishes Muzzleloader magazine which is pretty good and is a source for guns. Or go to your local gun dealer and check them out.
I will say this; they are a blast to shoot and all of the necessary accessories and gear are really fun to mess around with. Buy a barrel stuffer and you'll likely be hooked.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:33 am

I went with the CVA Wolf. Cost effective, simple to use and clean (most important to me. It's a break action so you only have to remove the breech plug for maintenance/insert primer. Short barreled and ideally suited for thick cover/woodlots.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:47 am

I'll throw in my $0.02.  I like mine.  It's a .54 Cal Thompson Center Hawken.  It's currently barrelled with a .54 Green Mountain IBC barrel 1-in-28.  Back in the mid-80's when I got it, people preferred the .54 for deer.  Nowadays, with inlines, most folks go for .50.  I would probably pick .50 for convenience sake now-- there is just so much more available in .50.  The reason for .54 is that at short range (think bow) the .54 can do a significantly better job at dumping energy into the boiler room.  However, most guys are into distance these days-- they talk 200 yards.  Personally I like 50 yards. 10 yards is even better. The only time I've seen a deer taken up and thrown was with a round from  my .54 Hawken at 60 yards.

When I shoot traditional, the rest of the year. I put back on the original .54 barrel for patched .54 ball.

For  deer hunting  shoot .54 Powerbelts . They  are devastating on deer. Next year, I am switching to  pure lead from the Lee 380 grain R.E.A.L mold.

I can shoot patched ball for deer out of the original barrel , but I could never find a decent conical for it-- just not enough twist.

BTW:  If you want in cheap and already have a Mossberg 500 shotgun, think about the ML barrel for the 500.  I bought one for #2 son, and he loves it.  He's shooting a pure lead cast REAL bullet.  It gives 100 yard accuracy for $100.  It's only problem is that the 209 primers stain the bolt.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:54 am

Shaman,

I have the .54 cal TC Hawken as well.  Very sweet traditional and love the look and functionality as well as the ballistics.  Taken many a deer with the old patch and ball. 

I also own an .50 in-line Wind River Magnum, which is deadly with some powerbelts pounded down the barrel.  I like this gun for long range shoothouses I have on the property.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

FlDeerman

Postby FlDeerman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:54 am

I hunt with a CVA Mountain Stalker 50 cal.They now call it a Bob Cat.Traditional and I shoot mini-balls that I make for it.

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:06 am

i was looking for newer inline muzzle loader that is within a reasonable price
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:39 am

The Wolf sounds like a candidate for what your are looking for. I'm sure other manufactureres have an entry level model as well, but I am only relaying what I have experience with.

Wally World was selling them for around 150.00 bucks.

Here is Cabelas speil on the Wolf. There is also a link for a ML buyers guide and comparison charts.

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0033480215857a.shtml

Good luck.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:27 am

thanks
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:53 am

I am a Traditions guy myself.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:04 am

My brother has a CVA Optima I have a Winchester Apex which is just a more expensive version of the CVA Kodiak.  Either will do you just fine.  I prefer the break open breach.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo