A little info on the Rossi

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
nhdeerchaser

A little info on the Rossi

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:18 pm

Hey everyone!

My son has a Rossi 3 barrel combo gun that we and his grandparents got him for Christmas.
Just a little note on the .243 barrel. In my experience with the gun, I have found that the barrel has to be very clean from shot to shot. With the first shot, I put the bullet dead nuts at 50 yards.
Next shot with a dirty barrel put it 2 inches below. I cleaned the heck out of the gun, and shot it again. The next bullet hit 1/4" to the left of the first bullseye shot.
It is a good little gun for a beginner. If you take more than three shots with it, the accuracy goes way away.
Just my experience.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

shaman

RE: A little info on the Rossi

Postby shaman » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:36 am

Are you letting it cool completely between these shots?

If you are, and this is what's happening off a cool barrel, there are a bunch of avenues.

1) A change in ammo.  I've switched between 150 and 165 grain bullets in a 30-06 and had problems like this go away
2) Lapping the barrel with one of those kits like this:
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/gunsmithing/finish_0723/
I haven't done it, but I know folks that have.
3) Polishing the barrel the Hillbilly way:  Use FLITZ on a tight-fitting patch and drag it up and down the barrel.  I had great results improving a Mosin Nagant and an old Muzzleloader this way-- two patches X50 times each, and just watch out for the crown (!). Then clean it spotlessly to get the FLITZ out.
4) Hoppes Moly Spray on a spotlessly cleaned barrel (see #3 above)
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to Guns and Ammo