Turkey Hunting: 20 Gauge versus 12 Gauge

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Scoutfish

Turkey Hunting: 20 Gauge versus 12 Gauge

Postby Scoutfish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:06 pm

So in my first post, I mentioned that, although no stranger to guns, I am new to hunting .

My son has taken a liking to his cousin's 20 ga pump. Talking with my nephew, I learned it was his first shotgun, but he also said it was a good turkey hunting gun.

My son used it at a local volunteer fire dept turkey shoot and the pattern was pretty nice and tight
( remember to take into consideration the cheaper shot they hand out ).

Whaile there, I noticed that everbody who just came straight in from deer hunting had a 12 gauge, but those who came from home were fairly equally divided into 12 gauge break actions, 12 gauge pumps, and 20 gauge pumps.

My initail thinking is that a 12 gauge would be better, but then again, I'd also have a better chance of killing a deer with a 1,200 round per minute - 6 barrel .50 cal chain gun.

So, your thoughts, opinions, experience with that?

Thanks, Mark

kellory

Re: Turkey Hunting: 20 Gauge versus 12 Gauge

Postby kellory » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Even a .410 is legal to take deer with here in Ohio. I have taken several with it. 12ga. guns are simply more common, which mans ammo is easier to find, with more options available. Just like the 30-06 may not be the best overall deer rifle, the ammo has a wide range of choices, and is available anywhere. Same with the 12ga.
20ga would be a little lighter (most likely) and I have buddies who use them. They will however carry a little less shot, and there is one risk to be very aware of. In a mixed hunting crowd, a 20ga. shell will fall into a 12ga barrel if loaded by mistake, and it will lodge in the barrel. IF a second round is loaded and fired........it could end very badly.
I like smaller shotguns, just be careful with the ammo.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Guns and Ammo